Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black and Tan  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Black and Tan
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 06:58:35 am »
If you stand on your head when you drink it, maybe it'll be more what you're expecting
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 07:44:39 am »
Euge...I wish I had some to show you. It's been some time since I actually had a B & T, but I will be sure to take a pic and post when I do.

Does homebrew count?  :)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 11:55:37 am »
Euge...I wish I had some to show you. It's been some time since I actually had a B & T, but I will be sure to take a pic and post when I do.

Does homebrew count?  :)

Absolutely!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 12:29:24 am »
For those of you talking about snakebites earlier, I saw this in my feed reader today:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/02/the-cider-press-classic-cider-cocktails.html
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 10:51:47 am »
Ordered a Black and Tan in Ireland, once. The barman was benevolent and didn't throw me out, but explained that that was the color of British uniforms in one of the many conflicts and to NEVER EVER say that again.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 07:37:45 pm »
Yes, a "black and tan" would be a very offensive thing to order in Ireland.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 02:12:18 am »
Ordered a Black and Tan in Ireland, once. The barman was benevolent and didn't throw me out, but explained that that was the color of British uniforms in one of the many conflicts and to NEVER EVER say that again.

Yeah, we don't have them over here for that reason. The Black and Tans were brutal, and murderous. The best known instance was the killing of 12 at Crowe Park in 1920. The first Irish Bloody Sunday.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 03:03:20 am »

Yeah, we don't have them over here for that reason. The Black and Tans were brutal, and murderous. The best known instance was the killing of 12 at Crowe Park in 1920. The first Irish Bloody Sunday.

Can you order a half and half without being frowned upon?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 03:58:01 am »
These are also really common in the Czech Republic, where the mix Czech Dunkel and Pilsner.  They don't bother trying to keep the layers separate, though.  A lot of pubs will even list 3 beers on the menu, a Pilsner, a Dunkel and a mixed beer (sometimes called an Amber on the menu).

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 04:22:33 am »

Can you order a half and half without being frowned upon?

I have no idea, but where I grew up in South London, people did used to drink 'Light and Heavy', which tended to involve a low gravity ale mixed with a higher gravity one.
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:31 am »

Typo - it's Croke Park.

I've never heard of a light and heavy, what kind of beers were typically mixed?  Light like a bitter?  Heavy like a . . . ?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 10:41:42 am »
In Ireland a Black and Tan is normally made from a half pint of Smithwick's topped off with Guinness...So I've been told as I've never been there. This version is also sometimes referred to as a "Blacksmith" or a "Light and Bitter". During the summer months stout drinkers may order a black and tan due to its lighter texture. Likewise ale drinkers may order a Smithwick's with a Guinness head. This is an ordinary pint of Smithwick's with the last inch or so topped off with Guinness. This is some info. I found online.

Ron Price

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 10:57:42 am »

Typo - it's Croke Park.

I've never heard of a light and heavy, what kind of beers were typically mixed?  Light like a bitter?  Heavy like a . . . ?

Yup, typo. That's what happens when you type with a 3 year old climbing on you. Incidentally, I examined an undergraduate dissertation today dealing with the Black and Tans.

The light was generally a bottled 'light ale'. Think pale mild. The heavy was generally a best bitter, ESB. I've never had one, so can't comment on what they. I never saw any attempt to layer them
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 11:12:18 am »
I like pale milds, I made one based on the AK recipe in the Mild book.  It turned out very nice.  I could see blending that with an ESB. :)
Tom Schmidlin