Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Temperature for Mead  (Read 21973 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Fermentation Temperature for Mead
« on: February 14, 2011, 05:34:28 am »
I've just made a simple mead with the Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead yeast.  It is currently at 70 F.  I have made good meads at 70 F in the past; however, now I'm ready to make REALLY GOOD mead that would please even the conneisseurs.  So my question is:

What is the RIGHT temperature to ferment mead using the 4184 sweet mead yeast?

Thanks,
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
Re: Fermentation Temperature for Mead
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:00:19 pm »
No mead experts around here, eh?  Oh well, she seems to be fermenting well at 69 F.  Probably will be fine, huh?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:21:14 pm »
Dang, I was hoping someone had answered your question.  :-\
Tulsa, OK

jaybeerman

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:45:55 pm »
I've not used this strain in a mead, BUT you're smack in the middle of the temp range that wyeast provides.  You'll be fine.  I see that it is described as having a "rich fruity profile that compliments fruit mead, " so @ 70f I bet you'll still have a pretty fruity profile.  I think a lot of folks opt for wine yeast over the mead yeast so that's an option (next time) if you don't think this batch qualifies as "really good."  Cheers, j

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:54:11 pm »
I had originally decided not to post that I have no experience with this yeast, but now I feel like I have to.

I have no experience with this yeast ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:36:18 am »
What's the deal with meadmakers not using "mead yeast" but always opting for wine yeast??  I've used only the mead yeasts thus far and have been very happy with the results.  So maybe I, a mead novice, can teach the mead "experts" a thing or two!?  Either that, or I'm too uneducated to know what good mead tastes like... though I am a BJCP judge, and I did sleep at a HoJo last night.
Dave

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 07:08:58 am »
I've only used the sweet mead yeast on ciders.  From what I have heard this yeast is finicky and doesn't always produce consistent results. 
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:50:45 am »
I really don't like sweet mead so I never used the sweet mead yeast (Except once). I like really dry mead so I use champaign yeast cause it will chew through the sugars to the bone. I have never tried a dry mead yeast though so I can't really speak. temp wise I have always just gone with ambient temps so around 70.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

jaybeerman

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 05:12:20 pm »
What's the deal with meadmakers not using "mead yeast" but always opting for wine yeast??  I've used only the mead yeasts thus far and have been very happy with the results.  So maybe I, a mead novice, can teach the mead "experts" a thing or two!?  Either that, or I'm too uneducated to know what good mead tastes like... though I am a BJCP judge, and I did sleep at a HoJo last night.

Next time try a batch with wine yeast and decide for yourself.  Personally I hated the dry mead yeast and wouldn't want the character of the sweet mead (obviously your palate may differ).  I'll let you know when i make another batch of mead; I would happily trade a bottle.  Cheers, j

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 09:08:48 pm »
The last time I used the sweet mead yeast (this was like 5 years ago), it finished at 1.004 -- hardly "sweet".  I agree that the dry mead yeast probably finishes far too dry.
Dave

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 05:23:12 am »
I used a big slurry of Thames Valley ale yeast in my batch of key lime melomel from December.  I kinda like how it tastes and it seems to have finished at 1.010 from an OG of 1.090 (I don't have my notes in front of me).  Hopefully I can get it to clear.  I put a two step Isinglass treatment in it Sunday, but it may have some pectin haze.
Anyway, I use ale yeast in a lot of meads (mostly braggots, though) and ferment them at the appropriate temp for the yeast.
I used Montrochet in a varietal mead last year and followed pretty much the same temp schedule - low 60F.  Even after that it took a while before the heat of the alcohol subsided.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 07:33:51 am »
The problem is.......I have never made a really good mead from this yeast. Have made some "really good" meads from wine yeasts, but this one has let me down majorly.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:03:26 am »
The problem is.......I have never made a really good mead from this yeast. Have made some "really good" meads from wine yeasts, but this one has let me down majorly.

Which yeast?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 10:21:26 am »
Some of my favorites are D-47,71B-1122, and EC-1118. The first two for fruit melomels, the latter for cysers (I like them dry and sparkling) and straight meads (back sweeten here).

jaybeerman

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 10:51:10 am »
The last time I used the sweet mead yeast (this was like 5 years ago), it finished at 1.004 -- hardly "sweet".  I agree that the dry mead yeast probably finishes far too dry.

What was your SG in that mead?  A FG of 1.004 - 1.001 is perfect in my book.  I just didn't like the flavor profile of the dry mead yeast.  IMO mead fg just can't be compaired with beer fg and therefore dry is a relative term.  cheers, j

Anyway, I use ale yeast in a lot of meads (mostly braggots, though) and ferment them at the appropriate temp for the yeast.
I used Montrochet in a varietal mead last year and followed pretty much the same temp schedule - low 60F.  Even after that it took a while before the heat of the alcohol subsided.

I agree ale yeast seems to be the best fit for braggots though I plan to do some wine yeast/braggot experiments later this year.  What was the ester profile in the mead fermented with wine yeast at low 60sF?  What were your overall thoughts on the mead?  cheers, j