Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gnocci?  (Read 4485 times)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Gnocci?
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:43:32 am »
Anyone have a good gnocci recipe? I've made it once, but it was a long time ago.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Gnocci?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:41:27 am »
not a recipe per se but

about a pound of potatoes (I like a mix of starchy bakers and buttery ones like yukon or finn or what ever)
2 eggs
enough flour to make it all hold together.

Don't kneed any more than you have to or they get tough ( I also used to use semolina but they get really tough and take forever to cook)
You can even make it so loose that you can squeeze them out of a pastry bag into the boiling water! or roll them out into snakes like when you were a kid and, if you want, mark with the back of a fork then cut into 1 inch lengths.

Get a gallon of water boiling and salted. turn the flame down enough to get a gentle boil and either pipe them in with the bag or drop the pieces in. Only a few at a time as you don't want the water temp to drop to much.

When they float they are done, remove to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.

once cool dry them on a clean towel.

they can be held in the fridge for a day or so.

i like to serve them in a cream sauce with some blue or gorganzola or a burre blanc.

Sometimes I use pumpkin instead of potato and make a citrus burre blanc and that's pretty good.

Citrus burre blanc

Put some wine and some fresh squeezed citrus juice (Blood oranges make for a pretty color)
into a small sauce pan and boil to 1/3 volume. add butter a little bit at a time until about a stick is in there. It will get creamy when you have enough. Add the zest from the citrus, salt and pepper to taste and you are done!

the cream sauce is even easier

some onion or shallot sauted in a pan, deglaze with a little white wine.

when wine is almost gone add heavy cream. when it starts to thicken add chucks of gorgonzola or the like toss in gnocci and you are done!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:47:33 am »
One of my favorite treatments for gnocchi involves the following:

render the fat out of some bacon until crispy. remove bacon and allow to drain on paper towels, reserving a few tbsp of bacon grease in the pan.

sweat half an onion, finely diced, in the bacon fat. deglaze with your favorite brown ale - you want something nice and malty. Wee Heavy would also be good, it's what I use. just eyeball it, about half the bottle should be good, and then you can drink the rest.
bring to simmer/reduce on low heat, and add one bay leaf.

once the sauce is about halfway reduced, add about 1/4-1/2 cup (depending on taste, natch) of dark brown sugar. also add a touch of cinnamon, and a bit of cayenne if you wish. Allow to reduce to a nice sauce-y texture, how much will depend again on your tastes. Meanwhile, crumble the bacon a bit.

when the sauce is done working, add a few tbsp of butter, and once it's been incorporated, add a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten it up a bit. Toss the gnocchi with the sauce, plate, sprinkle with bacon. You can optionally candy some bacon instead, and use that.

PRO TIP: I've found that pretty much any preperation you can think of for gnocchi can apply with similar results to brussel sprouts. Dunno why, but it works. You could also try mixing brussel sprouts with gnocchi, a nice bol pour dîner.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:01:41 am »
I was thinking about doing a carbonara, but I was really wondering more about the actual gnocci itself. I've heard people say it was tricky, but it's been so long I don't remember.

That sauce sounds really good, but I think I'll have to save that for another time. That's the sort of thing that needs private experimentation before serving to guests.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:30:05 am »
I like them on the lighter-fluffier side. The pastry bag is a great approach- though I usually just form them with two spoons like quenelles. I think a ziplock bag with the appropriate tip would make a fine gnocci. Then gently boiled in salted water.

I'd say they are medium difficulty but it's really a sharp learning curve. When I roll them out and cut and form with a fork they always seem too dense for my tastes so I make them more like "dumplings" with the spoons. I think just about any sauce works well though people tend to go for the creamier types.

Tossed in garlic, butter and fresh chopped parsley, topped with Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:53:19 pm »
Then gently boiled in salted water.

The importance of this cannot be understated.
----

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 01:02:21 pm »
Ah, well I'm glad you called it out, then. I would have missed it.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:02:18 am »
You can also try boiling with a bit of vinegar.
----

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 11:05:54 am »

This based on teh idea that the acidic environment would coagulate proteins a little faster? like poching eggs?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 05:31:58 pm »
What the hell is gnocci?

We don't have that in SC

EDIT: Wikipedia says they are dumplings. We have those. Usually in chicken, rabbit or squirrel stew. Sometimes in blackberry or apple cobblers.

My bad.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:35:18 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 05:59:51 pm »
Usually in chicken, rabbit or squirrel stew.

You forgot possum.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:08:15 pm »
Potato dumplings. Wee little ones. And I don't eat possum.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 01:43:22 am »

This based on teh idea that the acidic environment would coagulate proteins a little faster? like poching eggs?

Yeah, exactly.

Also, never fry gnocci:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXy12xVnRs
----

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 05:58:52 am »
What the hell is gnocci?

We don't have that in SC

EDIT: Wikipedia says they are dumplings. We have those. Usually in chicken, rabbit or squirrel stew. Sometimes in blackberry or apple cobblers.

My bad.

Yeah ya do, you just call them pot stickers.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:07:48 am »
Well, due to time constraints I think I am going to go with store-bought. But I wont be deep frying them.

Now originally I was thinking carbonara, now I'm wondering how a basil cream sauce with crumbled bacon and parsley would be. I think I need to roll that one over in my head a little. Well, maybe for next time. I don't want to start experimenting on this meal.