Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much trub?  (Read 3809 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
How much trub?
« on: February 14, 2011, 08:09:35 am »
I remember reading somewhere (Joy of Home Brewing, I think) that the trub in the bottle of the brew kettle at the end of the boil (hot + cold break) contains material that the yeast needs to do it's thing.

On the other hand, I seem to be leaning towards the camp that likes it's wort clean.

So, some trub is required, question is: How Much? If I run the wort through a Chinois strainer, some would get through, is that enough?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
Re: How much trub?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:37:24 am »
Charlie writes in the "The New Complete Joy..."( I got an oldie), "The presence of trub in the fermenting wort does affect fermentation and flavor, but for a homebrewer it's overall significance is slight compared to all of the other variables that more dramatically affect the outcome of your beer. Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew."

A Chinois is too fine and clogs easily. A regular strainer with some cheese cloth works wonders. if the strainer is course it will support the cheesecloth, which will filter out the trub. You can also whirlpool the wort with a sanitized spoon after it's cooled and then rack the wort to the fermenter. Sometimes I use cheesecloth, other times not.  I just relax...

I love that old book.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:17:35 am »
A guy on the Brews and Views forum did an experiment a few years back where he brewed 2 batches of pils (IIRC) and removed the trub from one but not the other.  The batch with the trub ended up clearer and better tasting in his opinion.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:02 am »
Interesting.

Maybe I have to change my MO here. Ever since I took my APA extract recipe whole grain I have been making good beer, but it's NOT the same flavor, and I really liked that flavor......

Ironically the best batches were the extract batches where I threw EVERYTHING in the BK in the bucket. Hops, trub, everything.

Maybe I should just go back to that. Makes it a lot less work too...... ;D The only drawback is that the yeast cake has a lot more crap in it, and I do like repitching.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:28:49 am by oscarvan »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:31:52 am »
I doubt it was all the gunk that made the difference.  You probably just haven't experimented with the AG version enough to hit what you're going for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:52:16 am »
I use whole hops or plug hops and put them into a hop bag suspended in the bk in the center of the
main boil vortex.  Pull the entire bag of hops out when finished boiling...prior to putting in my immersion
coil.  (I may be missing some hop utilization but the beers taste good) Anyhow, I just cool it down and
put the entire thing in the fermenter, cold break...all of it...dumped in the fermenter.  I secondary in my
corny kegs so a lot (most) of the material gets left in primary and after a week or so in the keg under gas,
seems most of my beers are coming out very nice and clear. F.W.I.W.  Y.M.M.V.

As far as getting the yeast out of that primary, I suppose a good wash w / DI water would facilitate that.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 11:24:36 am »
Interesting.

Maybe I have to change my MO here. Ever since I took my APA extract recipe whole grain I have been making good beer, but it's NOT the same flavor, and I really liked that flavor......

Ironically the best batches were the extract batches where I threw EVERYTHING in the BK in the bucket. Hops, trub, everything.

Maybe I should just go back to that. Makes it a lot less work too...... ;D The only drawback is that the yeast cake has a lot more crap in it, and I do like repitching.

+1 on less work and repitching. Recently started yeast washing with good results. It's easy. I've never worried about trub, but now my big "hop taco" gets the majority of hot break and virtually all the hop debris. I use a PC, so all the cold break goes into the fermentor.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:04:05 pm »
Do you have side by side recipes we can compare Oscar?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:21:03 pm »
Sure do.......

The original extract recipe:

6lb Munton & Fison Extra Light DME
1/2 lb Briess Crystal Malt 20º L
1/2 lb M&F Carapils Malt 20º L
1 oz Simcoe Pellets Bittering
1oz Cascade Pellets 10 minutes
1oz Cascade Pellets 2 minutes.
Wyeast 1056

OG 1.056
FG 1.014
ABV 5.3%

For the AG I replaced the DME with 10 pounds of 2 Row Pale Ale, and reduced the Simcoe to .75oz
I lost some of the hops, so on the next batch I am going to bring that back up to 1oz, especially since I've started using a hops bag.

Now one of the AG batches was the "hot" mash from another thread. Still, I'm hitting the targets. In fact the FG has come in a few points lower, maybe because I was repitching a healthy dose of slurry. (Thin, 400ml)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:24:12 pm by oscarvan »

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:30:39 pm »
DOH!

I'm doing 10 gallon batches..... I doubled the grain, but I didn't double the hops...... :o :o :o

The Irony is that the wife actually likes this, she is not a hophead..... So that may stand as a recipe for the "less hoppy" version......

Wooden Shoe Blonde Ale, and Wooden Shoe Pale Ale... The calculated IBU's for the former about 18.5, the latter 37.

This explains a lot....

Learning is taking place..... ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:04:05 pm by oscarvan »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:44:13 pm »
LOL!

I was going to ask what the flavor difference is... Is it solely a bitterness issue or malt flavor as well?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:49:26 pm »
Well, it is first and foremost a bitternes/hop flavor/hop aroma problem, again, duh! Haven't gotten to the malt aspect of the evaluation. Nothing stands out, in fact it's a good beer, just not what I was looking for. Trying to figure out which style it is.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 01:03:30 pm »
OK, if I take out a 1/2 pound of two row and get the OG to around 1050 it looks like it would fit in "6A Light Hybrid Beer, Blonde Ale"...... IBU's 18 ABV 5.2 SRM 5

I meant to do it like this.... no really.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:56:36 pm »
I'm doing 10 gallon batches..... I doubled the grain, but I didn't double the hops...... :o :o :o
Look on the bright side - at least it's an easy fix :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 12:42:23 pm »
Yes it is...... Now that it has evolved into it's own recipe, I am considering taking out the Carapils to lighten it up a little for her....

Meanwhile, thinking I was brewing the APA I brewed three kegs worth, which will take her a year to drink..... (OK some of my buddies aren't exactly hop heads either and will help)...... and I have no APA.....

FIRE UP THE BURNERS, MAN THE MILL!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:48:51 pm by oscarvan »