Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for an online homebrew supplier that does NOT us fedex.  (Read 2239 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
Looking for an online homebrew supplier that does NOT us fedex.
« on: February 16, 2011, 07:53:53 am »
Generally I buy my supplies at my LHBS, but sometimes I need items they do not offer and can't get through there supplier.   I have used a few of the major online suppliers and found some of them to be excellent and have great service, however...  They sadly use Fed-ups.  Which means my shipments get damaged (yeast frozen twice, the second time the reshipment of the first screw up), mis-delivered, etc.  There is only so many times I would expect the company to make up for Fedups mistakes so, sadly I feel the need to find a different supplier.

Any suggestions on a supplier that may not be as well known but has good service, fairly big selection (or can get things in), reasonable shipping charges, and most importantly does NOT us Fed-ex!?
Dave Brush

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Looking for an online homebrew supplier that does NOT us fedex.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:06:31 am »
Hey, it gets cold up there in the NE Kingdom.  I'm sure the Fedex guy only has that brandy flask to stay warm :)

My last order form Austin Homebrew Supply came UPS. 

Fortunately, I have not had any problems with Fedex with any of my deliveries.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:32:26 am »
Is it FedEx or FedEx Ground you have the problem with?  I understand being up in the NE Kingdom of VT, beautiful country  btw Dave, you probably have to speak Québécois to get your stuff at the LHBS.  I've used many online sources that have have the flat rate shipping, either $7.99 for $9.99 for any amount of weight or dollar value.  They normally ship FedEx Ground.  With those shipping charges, I have to wait 4 to 8 days, which I accept.  I have no problem with that nor have I ever had any problem with an order delivery.  

This is from MidWest's customer Service page: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/customer-service
Our number one priority is customer service! There is no such thing as a dumb question (Toll Free Number 1-888-449-2739)! Our friendly and patient phone support will help you out in any way we can before and after you make a purchase from Midwest.

If you like your online suppliers let them know of your problem and ask if they'd ship via USPS (if it fits it ships boxes) or UPS.  They may charge you more since they have a contract with FedEx, but you'll get the delivery service you want.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:59:09 am »
I'm sure the Fedex guy only has that brandy flask to stay warm :)

Yeah, the brandy would probably explain why she/he (there seems to be a few different drivers) left the box outside the garage (it was unlocked as always) before a snowstorm, down the hill from my house and didn't even bother to check to see if anyone was home (I was) or leave a notice of delivery!  Found it the next day when shoveling snow.   >:(
Dave Brush

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:59 am »
I feel like my last order from Northern Brewer was shipped via UPS.  I'll have to check when I get home since I don't have the email confirmation with me.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:34:54 am »
Northern Brewer went to Fed Ex some months ago.

If you track your package online you'll know the day it is delivered.  You could've looked for that one that was left outside.  I'm always champing at the bit and watching the tracking site, when its out for delivery I know about when the driver will be by.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:54:54 am »

More like at least a year ago, right?
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:15:47 am »
I don't even notice who delivers the packages, I've never had a problem with delivery from any of my online orders.  I'm like Lennie though, I track my packages obsessively and know exactly when they are delivered.

If you talk to them and explain the problem of yeast freezing they might be able to package it differently for you to protect it. Or you can go with dry yeast if the rights strains are available, freeing dry yeast is harmless.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »

More like at least a year ago, right?

Twelve is "some".  But yeah it might have been Jan 2010, I couldn't remember for sure.  I kind of like it because they deliver on Saturday, but I haven't had bad luck with either UPS or Fed Ex.  I try not to order liquid yeast in the dead of winter but thats probably six months out of the year for some of you northerners.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO