Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: notes on my double IPA  (Read 1629 times)

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
notes on my double IPA
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:50:23 pm »
Tried to do my first DIPA but came in at an OG of 1062 instead of 1070. I guess it was the additional half gallon of wort that I produced which thinned it down and brought down the OG. I had planned to strain the 5 oz of hops that went into the boil, but that proved impossible, the srainer got clogged with hop matter and I ended up just throwing out that greenish 1/2 gallon of wort.

Making a DIPA makes me better understand why those suckers are so expensive, lots of malt and lots of hops, and that's that I used about 30% less hops than Pliney. Ultimately, it looks like a made a big IPA but not an imperial pale ale. 

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: notes on my double IPA
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:15:24 pm »
You could add another pound of sugar.
Brew on

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 04:46:30 pm »
BTW 1.070 is a bit too low for a DIPA gravity-wise.  You should try to get your OG above 1.075 (I prefer 1.080 and above) and your IBUs should be above 75 (or 100, what the hey!).  When using a crapload of hops, I usually use hop bags, they just make it easier IMHO.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:13:40 pm »
I was working off of the Pliney recipe in Zymurgy which had an OG of 1070.  Prior to seeing that recipe I was under the assumption that IIPAs were all above 1080.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:00:20 am »
Given how many factors tend to reduce the bitterness of a beer compared with its paper IBU's - hop age, whole hop floating, and boil vigor being the main ones - I never concern myself with my calculated IBU's being 10-15 over the limit for a pale ale or IPA. With an DIPA I also would shoot for 1.080 or so, but I actually prefer a big AIPA over a DIPA, so for me the IPA "sweet spot" is about 1.070-1.075 and 70-90 IBU - technically that's DIPA territory, but I don't think of it as such.