Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: making lemonade out of lemons  (Read 2735 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
making lemonade out of lemons
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:10:30 pm »
My daughter was diagnosed with asthma today.  :-[  Luckily, it seems to be mild and there are good drugs and equipment to deal with it.  :-\

After she got home from the doctors we unpacked a piece of equipment called a nebulizer, basically an air compressor that vaporizes medicine to inhale.  All of the medicine and vaporizing happens at a mouth piece.....remove that and all you have is a fish tank type air compressor with a sterile filter.....a FISH TANK TYPE AIR COMPRESSOR WITH A STERILE FILTER!!!!!

great googily moogily!  If the air is pure enough to medicate someone with, surely it is pure enough to aerate wort!

I guess just got a new piece of brewing equipment.  Now that is some lemonade!!!  :D

Which got me thinking....what would a used medical device like that go for on craigslist.....maybe a cheap piece of equipment to pick up?  Since I now have one (until she moves away in 15 years), I just thought I would share the idea.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: making lemonade out of lemons
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:25:24 pm »
The filter won't be sterile for long after air moves through it. But I like the idea. Crafty homebrewers... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 02:31:50 am »
I like the way you think.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 08:07:54 am »
Sorry about the kid..... cool for the brewing!
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:24:01 am »
Which got me thinking....what would a used medical device like that go for on craigslist.....maybe a cheap piece of equipment to pick up?  Since I now have one (until she moves away in 15 years), I just thought I would share the idea.

Used medical equipment? Slap a prescription label on that fish tank pump and the price automatically jumps 1000x.

My dad uses a CPAP machine, I wonder if that's the same sorta thing?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:59:09 am »
The filter won't be sterile for long after air moves through it. But I like the idea. Crafty homebrewers... ;)

Isn't a sterile filter in this context a filter which will not allow particles as big as microorganisms to pass? kind of like a the filters they use on BMC beer, scrub out all the yeast
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:47:22 am »
Yep, it'll be sterile up until the point that it clogs.

Ya sure she doesn't need oxygen? Just in case, ya know, for emergencies maybe?   ;)
Brew on

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 10:19:14 pm »
[
Yep, it'll be sterile up until the point that it clogs.

Ya sure she doesn't need oxygen? Just in case, ya know, for emergencies maybe/quote]

Let's hope not ever...as I said, her asthma is mild, but many friends were telling me that some of their kid's asthma had subsided....so I was thinking that you might find this medical device not very expensive on the resale market (ie craigslist).....in checking craigslist....looks like anywhere from $15-$100 (and as low as $22 new on Amazon) and more than a few available in my area....so, all I am saying, besides "give peace a chance" is that if you were looking at wanting to try aerating your wort, a used nebulizer might be the cheap way to go because of the sterile filter action.  Admit it, you would spend more on a single stainless steel fitting, which doesn't do a thing to improve your beer.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...