Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator Showcase  (Read 34053 times)

Offline z-z

• 1st Kit
    • The Brewing Network
Re: Kegerator Showcase
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2011, 10:59:47 am »
I guess I'll add mine. Before you ask: It was the wife's idea to put it in the kitchen when we remodeled!

Rat Pad!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2011, 11:26:14 am »
I guess I'll add mine. Before you ask: It was the wife's idea to put it in the kitchen when we remodeled!
Marry her!  Oh, wait . . . ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2011, 11:46:20 am »
Don't have kids, do ya?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:31 am »
Don't have kids, do ya?
Sure, but they're 5.  When they get older the keg fridge just might end up with some of these . . .
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/taps-faucets-cid-31.html
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2011, 12:51:08 pm »
For Lonnie or others who have wrapped their chest freezers in wood, did you attach wood right to the freezer's outside walls or use framing strips to add some space b/w the freezer and the wood?  I've heard folks argue that one method is correct and the other is not.  Supposedly one method keeps the freezer from getting too hot and/or dissipating heat.  But nobody seems to agree on which method is correct!  ::)
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2011, 02:57:43 pm »
For Lonnie or others who have wrapped their chest freezers in wood, did you attach wood right to the freezer's outside walls or use framing strips to add some space b/w the freezer and the wood?  I've heard folks argue that one method is correct and the other is not.  Supposedly one method keeps the freezer from getting too hot and/or dissipating heat.  But nobody seems to agree on which method is correct!  ::)

There is no arguing about it my friend. Do not stick wood directly against the surface. You can feel how hot the sides of your freezer gets when you run it. You want to get rid of this heat exchange just like you would in real life. If you would like, read my site a bit in my link below. I have an exhaust fan that pulls air from all sides of the freezer and exhaust it out the back every time the freezer kicks on. 

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2011, 03:17:23 pm »
There is no arguing about it my friend. Do not stick wood directly against the surface. You can feel how hot the sides of your freezer gets when you run it. ...
My freezer must run pretty cool b/c the sides never get hot. Regardless, I'll heed your advice and take a look at your site for "inspiration"!  Thanks.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2011, 03:23:07 pm »
Ah! I guess mine is around 7 or 8 years old now... I like to think if it as the oldest chest freezer wrapped in wood. It is still going strong...

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2011, 11:28:31 am »

Excellent.  Mine did the same thing, but she just wanted it out of the laundry room.  So we had it built in to a buffet in the dining room.  Well, it's a buffet when there's food on it.  Otherwise, it's pretty much a bar. :)
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline EThome

• Cellarman
  • Chicago SW Burb
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2011, 04:55:48 pm »
Very impressive all! Given that a chest freezer is likely coming my way in the not too distant future (once the folks downsize and move into a condo) I hope to be doing a similar conversion myself. You have all provided some great inspiration.

One thing I was wondering - all the chest freezer conversions showcased here appear to have the collar attached to the freezer and not the lid. I watched a YouTube video of another conversion where he had the collar connected to the lid. Mentioned something about it being much easier to lift full cornys over the freezer w/o the collar.

Any comments from those already using a chest freezer/kegerator?
Not Alien to Homebrewing

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2011, 05:17:36 pm »
Attaching the collar to the lid means when you open it, the shanks and whatever hardware you have attached to the collar lift away. The downside is that you need more clearance behind the freezer for the lid to swing open. I've also seen some where there are hinges on both the lid and the freezer, so you can either open just the lid, or open the lid and collar. Mine has the collar attached to the freezer, just because it was the easiest way to build it. I can't say either way is better...
Mark Gres

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2011, 05:25:12 pm »
I've seen that too.  I did it with it on the freezer because I didn't want to have to lift the collar with the lid, I wasn't sure the hinges were strong enough to support it and I didn't want to have to put a stick in it to hold it open.  If that doesn't bother you or if you're vertically challenged then it makes some sense though.  With an 8" collar and the whole thing elevated 6" (on a little cart I built for it) I have no problem lifting a full keg into it, but I have a height advantage.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2011, 08:00:57 am »
I am vertically challenged (I like to say I am averaged height....for women), but elected to have the collar attached to the freezer and remount the hinges to it.  I felt that the weight of the collar would be too great to support, and attaching the collar to the lid must be stout as it moves....if it falls on you while loading, it could hurt. (not to mention that you are in a world of hurt if the hinges break.  If I was making the collar out of a lighter material (plastic of some sort would work) I might have felt differently.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2011, 09:19:48 am »
Ah! I guess mine is around 7 or 8 years old now... I like to think if it as the oldest chest freezer wrapped in wood. It is still going strong...
Mine is 6 years old, with the wood against the freezer on the front and ends.  After I built it I worried about it a little bit but never got around to doing anything about it.  I think the concern is overblown, my garage normally hits 100+ in the summer but the freezer runs just fine.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico