Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My BK pickup is finally done  (Read 7266 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: My BK pickup is finally done
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:47 am »
hmm.. - i use a bazooka T with no issues, unless I use all pellets...

I've tried on of those and it does seem to work OK with whole hops until I started using a pump.  Then it sucked the hops down onto the screen and clogged.

I use a pump too, but only on rare occassion do I have an issue where I need to scrape the screen.  95% of the time, not a problem - I think its the way i have the pump oriented.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 10:27:10 am »
I think its the way i have the pump oriented.

Could you describe that, please?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 11:30:44 am »
DC:

My BK is on a cart such that the spigot is about 3.5 feet off the ground.

I run a hose from the spigot to the pump.  The pump is oriented perpendicular to the ground, with the "in" on the top and the "out" facing the ground.  The pump then forces the wort through my therminator, then through 25' of copper coil sitting in an ice bath before making its way to the fermentor.

What I am wondering is that the 3ft+ drop is more gravity than the pump actually sucking, which is why I don't have problems with clogging on my bazooka T?

Again, if I use over 50% pellets, I do have problems, but not when using whole hops.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 11:46:18 am »
I want to say I used 4 of 7 ounces that were pellet...

So now that we are restocked on whole hops from freshops, I'll see what happens next time.

First, I gotta bottle.  I am 40gallons behind again.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 01:04:16 pm »
DC:

My BK is on a cart such that the spigot is about 3.5 feet off the ground.

I run a hose from the spigot to the pump.  The pump is oriented perpendicular to the ground, with the "in" on the top and the "out" facing the ground.  The pump then forces the wort through my therminator, then through 25' of copper coil sitting in an ice bath before making its way to the fermentor.

What I am wondering is that the 3ft+ drop is more gravity than the pump actually sucking, which is why I don't have problems with clogging on my bazooka T?

Again, if I use over 50% pellets, I do have problems, but not when using whole hops.

The height is a real difference from my setup.  I only have maybe a foot or so from BK outlet to pump inlet.  I also have the pump inlet on the bottom and outlet on the top.  I suppose if I used a grant I could get it to work, but frankly it's easier to use hops bags.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 09:18:33 pm »
I built a circular copper manifold for my kettle.  It looks great but I do have problems with it clogging.  I'm not good at the whirlpool thing and I always forget to pickup hop bags.  I guess I need to work on that ;)!