Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck Mead Fermentation  (Read 3827 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Stuck Mead Fermentation
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2022, 02:09:36 pm »
Make a dry mead and blend.  Or can do similar with a dry cider or fruit wine.
I did make a dry version and blended them. The resulting FG is 1.035 which is a bit sweet, but very drinkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 04:25:10 pm by dannyjed »
Dan Chisholm

Offline Dan Schreffler

• 1st Kit
Re: Stuck Mead Fermentation
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2022, 01:08:21 pm »
I did make a dry version and blended them. The resulting FG is 1.035 which is a bit sweet, but very drinkable.

Awesome - we do this all the time at the winery - as most wine makers do to belnd to get the results you are looking for.  Sometimes we see the ferment kick back up after some blending, so you may want to wait a week+ before bottling.
Dan Schreffler
Space Time Mead & Cider Works
Dunmore PA

Offline henrys_hooch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 09:14:39 am »
71B has a alcohol tolerance of 14% and with the readings you have provided it has reached its tolerance. Why not just add water to bring down the sugar content then bottle? More mead to enjoy that way  ;D

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 09:29:28 am »
71B has a alcohol tolerance of 14% and with the readings you have provided it has reached its tolerance. Why not just add water to bring down the sugar content then bottle? More mead to enjoy that way  ;D
I've gotten 71B up to 18-19% with staggered nutrient additions and aeration twice a day. But I've also had it stall out at 13% when I overshot my initial gravity. I find those alcohol tolerance numbers are only useful from comparing two strains from the same manufacturer, and not much else.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 01:54:52 pm »
I've gotten 71B up to 18-19% with staggered nutrient additions and aeration twice a day. But I've also had it stall out at 13% when I overshot my initial gravity. I find those alcohol tolerance numbers are only useful from comparing two strains from the same manufacturer, and not much else.
Yeah I’ve gotten 16-17% ABV in a Berry mead with SNA using 71B.

Dan Chisholm

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 01:56:16 pm »

Here is a picture of the final product.

Dan Chisholm