Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question for you keggers  (Read 1720 times)

Offline brontotex

• Cellarman
Question for you keggers
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:44:01 am »
I'm getting ready to start kegging. Should I go with Ball lock or Pin lock?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Question for you keggers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:15:09 am »
Go with whichever you can find cheapest.  I started out with a dozen free pinlocks, then someone gave me ten ball locks.  Being cheap I didn't argue with the gift but I did have to make some alterations on my hose ends so I could easily switch between keg types.
Ball lock kegs are taller and narrower, pin locks are shorter but have a bigger diameter so the space you have in your kegerator can be an issue.  One thing I love about my pinlock kegs is that it is not possible to put a gas connector on the beer post, but you can do that with a ball lock keg and when you do it's really hard to get it back off without destroying something.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 09:28:00 am »
either is fine, but I'd suggest you pick one and stick with it. that simplifies your connection/hardware issues. now that said, I've got some of each. Once in a while, I think about trading one or the other off to get down to one type... but haven't actually done that yet.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:33:37 pm »
You could always use threaded connectors v.s. barbed so it is a snap to switch out keg connectors between ball and pin. It gives you more options as the two types start to get rare.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:36:06 pm »
I've got both.  I prefer the pin-lock for ease of identification and the secure feeling that you've got the connection on right, but most people look at me funny when I want to use them out in public.  Ball locks are more acceptable (as a general rule) in the real world, meaning that almost every brewer has ball locks, but not so much with pin locks.
It's pretty easy to have a T off the CO2 bottle with one of each on a hose to carb up your kegs and a mix of picnic taps with both to serve the beer.

Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline brontotex

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:37:48 pm »
Thanks everyone. went ahead and ordered a set up with ball locks.