Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Rules question  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
Re: NHC Rules question
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 08:09:25 pm »
So I'm wondering about fruit flavorings like commercially produced extracts and syrups?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:23:07 pm by norm »
Beer in various stages!

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 08:50:31 am »
So I'm wondering about fruit flavorings like commercially produced extracts and syrups?

My interpretation of the interpretation of the rules is that you can add anything you like, in any quantity and from any source, so long as any beer/mead/cider added was made by you (or perhaps by others in a non-commercial setting).

So commercially produced cherry extract, cherry syrup, cherry wine, cherry brandy, cherry concentrate are okay.
Commercially produced cherry beer, cherry cider, cherry mead are not okay.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 08:52:33 am »
None at all, just making sure that was the case. ;)

My point was the rules poo poo on adding commercial beer or brewing on commercial equipment, yet people add all sorts of spirits and it seems to pass muster. I'm not picking on the NHC, it happens with many competitions. It just seems odd to me that one beverage is acceptable and another is not...

I agree. Not an NHC specific thing at all. It seems like an irrational result of a literal reading of the rules that many competitions share. I can live with the rules but wanted to make a big enough fuss that some of the people making the rules consider going back to the drawing board on this issue and specifically address the addition of commercial alcoholic beverages to a home brewed beer in a consistent and reasonable way.

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 09:19:18 pm »

My interpretation of the interpretation of the rules is that you can add anything you like, in any quantity and from any source, so long as any beer/mead/cider added was made by you (or perhaps by others in a non-commercial setting).

So commercially produced cherry extract, cherry syrup, cherry wine, cherry brandy, cherry concentrate are okay.
Commercially produced cherry beer, cherry cider, cherry mead are not okay.

Very cool, Im going with it, pass or no pass that is the question!
Beer in various stages!