Author Topic: Advanced Software for Brewing Water Analysis  (Read 17722 times)

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Software for Brewing Water Analysis
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2011, 04:59:44 AM »
Thanks for the updates Martin. Would you have a recommendation for
importing the entire workbook/spreadsheet data from a previous version
of Bru'n Water, to the current version? If memory serves me? I thought
"get external data" is used for that?
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »
Did I miss something, or has this been addressed already?

One thing I've noticed (and liked) on Kai's spreadsheet is that he has subsections for "water treatment by slaked lime" and "water treatment by boiling." I can't seem to find the same sections on Bru'n water v1.9.

I'll be moving to an area with very high bicarbonate and that info would probably be useful.

I know I could just use Kai's spreadsheet for that, but Bru'n water is my favorite and I'd rather just use one resource.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2011, 02:46:40 PM »
Version 1.10 has been uploaded.  The only real changes are improvements to the Instructions, Water Knowledge, and pop-up notes in the program. 

But for Metric brewers, there is now a SI version available. 

Enjoy!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2011, 12:19:39 PM »
Martin, would it be possible to have the dilution percentage info included/displayed
in the adjustment summary?
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2011, 12:24:36 PM »
I'm brewing a APA right now.  pH was within 0.1 units as usual.  I brew with RO, so I have to add a little lime to keep the pH from dropping too low.   

You're right, the dilution percentage should be on that sheet.  Thanks for the heads up.  It will be in the next update.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Offline joe6pack

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2011, 10:00:43 AM »
Martin - Thanks for the great software.  I'm exploring it now, I imputed my water report from Ward Labs last night.  When I opened it this morning, on the Sparge Water Acidification Calculator sheet, all the Outputs fields show Err:509.  The Water Adjustment sheet also has Err:509 in all the Desired Water Profile fields and in most of the Water fields below it. I repeated the steps, saved and reopened the file, and it happened again.  Is there something wrong with my copy of OpenOffice Calc?

Win7
OpenOffice 3.3

Thanks!

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
That's an odd error.  You might try downloading Bru'n Water again and re-entering your water information.  Maybe something got erased on your original sheet.  The bad thing about Open Office is that nothing is protected so the whole sheet can be F'ed-up in a hurry. 

I just found a better spreadsheet alternative called LibreOffice.  There is now a link to that download site on the Bru'n Water site.  When I open Bru'n Water in LibreOffice, it looks much more like it supposed to look like in Excel.  I think LibreOffice is probably a better way to go. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Offline brewme_slc

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
Martin, let me first say what a wonderfully helpful calculator this is.  Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get past the Ion balance test.  Per your instructions, I tried adjusting the Ca level to closer match my water report in hopes it gets the ion levels within tolerance.  Currently, I am showing 5.65 Cations and 50 Anions, a ratio of .11. 

I used the "reported total alkalinity" calculator to determine the bicarb. and est. CO3 concentration.  Calculator said 125.7 HCO3 and .2 CO3.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Below is what my water report says (Salt Lake City, UT):

Fluoride: 876
Nitrate: .3
Nitrite: 0
Calcium: 71.34
Magnesium: 132.2
Potassium: .2
Sodium: 24.54
Iron: 0
Sulfate: 35.6
Chloride: 38.6

PH: 7.6
Alkalinity as CaCO3: 103.4
Hardness as CoCO3: 142.4

Is it possible that the following minerals are causing the ion count to be off?  These are on my report, but not in the calculator:

Antimony, Arsenic, Barium, Nickel,and  Selenium

I really would appreciate any help!

Cheers,

Eric

Offline brewme_slc

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »
Another question...I changed the type of acid and the acid strength percentage (from Lactic/88% to citric/100%) and on the Adjustment Summary it still shows Lactic Acid and 88% strength. 

Shouldn't those fields change when I change them on the Sparge Acidification tab?

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:31 PM »
Martin, let me first say what a wonderfully helpful calculator this is.  Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get past the Ion balance test.  Per your instructions, I tried adjusting the Ca level to closer match my water report in hopes it gets the ion levels within tolerance.  Currently, I am showing 5.65 Cations and 50 Anions, a ratio of .11.  

I used the "reported total alkalinity" calculator to determine the bicarb. and est. CO3 concentration.  Calculator said 125.7 HCO3 and .2 CO3.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Below is what my water report says (Salt Lake City, UT):

Fluoride: 876
Nitrate: .3
Nitrite: 0
Calcium: 71.34
Magnesium: 132.2
Potassium: .2
Sodium: 24.54
Iron: 0
Sulfate: 35.6
Chloride: 38.6

PH: 7.6
Alkalinity as CaCO3: 103.4
Hardness as CoCO3: 142.4

Is it possible that the following minerals are causing the ion count to be off?  These are on my report, but not in the calculator:

Antimony, Arsenic, Barium, Nickel,and  Selenium

I really would appreciate any help!

Cheers,

Eric

It appears you are misreading the concentrations.  If I'm not mistaken, that water would be poisonous if the fluoride concentration was that high.  In addition, that level of magnesium would mean that your water would make an instant laxative.  

Be sure that the units are in parts per million (ppm) or they may also be listed as mg/L.  You would need to divide the concentration number by 1000 if the ions are reported as parts per billion (ppb) or ug/L.  That u is actually a mu symbol and it means micrograms intead of the mg (milligrams).  You need to look closer at the reporting units and probably divide some of those values by 1000.   So if the report said 200 ppb (or 200 ug/L), that would convert to 0.2 ppm for input into the Water Report Input sheet.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:17:11 AM by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2011, 05:51:10 PM »
Another question...I changed the type of acid and the acid strength percentage (from Lactic/88% to citric/100%) and on the Adjustment Summary it still shows Lactic Acid and 88% strength. 

Shouldn't those fields change when I change them on the Sparge Acidification tab?

The acid name is taken from the Water Adjustment sheet.  But considering that almost every brewer is more likely to use acid for their sparge water, it appears that I should be looking up the acid name on the Sparge Acidification sheet instead.  That will be in the next revision. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
I just found a better spreadsheet alternative called LibreOffice.  There is now a link to that download site on the Bru'n Water site.  When I open Bru'n Water in LibreOffice, it looks much more like it supposed to look like in Excel.  I think LibreOffice is probably a better way to go. 
Liber Office is a fork from Open Office.
It works pretty good.
After Oracle acquired Open Office future of Open Office is unknown.
Na Zdravie

On Tap At The TapRoom:
Bohemian Pilsner
Bohemian Dark Lager
Smoked Bock
MaiBock
American Brown Ale
Marzen
Root beer

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • BJCP
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
LibreOffice is indeed a fork of OpenOffice, but it's supposed to have better compatibility with Office 2007.

Haven't decided which is likely to be better in the long run, but I like them both better than what happened to Skype.  My first thought: oh, great, now my telephone will crash.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
Haven't decided which is likely to be better in the long run, but I like them both better than what happened to Skype.  My first thought: oh, great, now my telephone will crash.
Using Windows Mobil?  ;)
Na Zdravie

On Tap At The TapRoom:
Bohemian Pilsner
Bohemian Dark Lager
Smoked Bock
MaiBock
American Brown Ale
Marzen
Root beer

Offline joe6pack

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
Martin - Installed LibreOffice, does look a little better, but got the same response as OpenOffice -when I open the existing file, I'd get all these Err:509 fields.  Then I opened a new file, inputed my water info, and saved it as a .xls instead of a .ods, closed and reopened it, and it works great.  I have a few other files that were originally Excel files, saved in the .ods format, no problem with them.  Oh well.
Now I can't wait to brew so I can try Bru'n Water out!  Thanks.