Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: temp shock?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
temp shock?
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:20:11 am »
I just pitched a rehydrated pack of Safale04 into 5G sweet stout wort OG 1052 I want to ferment at 62F. My target pitch temp was 58-60. My SOP is to oxygenate for 2 minutes and pitch a few degrees below the target to account for a temp rise as the fermentation takes off. This process has always worked well.

Here's tonight's issue: I thought my wort was at 58 by the reading on the fermometer. After I pitched I temped it with my thermocoupler. The wort is 48F. Guess I ran my IC too long. Temp range on the packet says 59-75F. Did I just shock the yeast into submission, or will it be OK? I expect a longer lag time, but I am thinking (hoping) all is OK. Instead of putting it in the corner of the room that is 62F, I am leaving it by the furnace where ambient temp is more like 68. Hoping to get the temp up to 60 quicker. Thoughts?
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
Re: temp shock?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:12:06 am »
My experience with S04 is that it's pretty resilient. You'll most likely be ok, but if you have some more on hand I'd pitch it now at a warmer temperature.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:30:46 am »
You prolly surprised the yeast a little but it should take hold as it warms up.  S-04 likes to ferment @62F or above (beer temp not ambient) from my experience.  YMMV...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:44:44 am »
RDWHAHB
Brew on

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:00:25 pm »
Better too low than too high. Do you store your yeast in the fridge?  You'll be fine.
Travis R.

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 05:13:54 pm »
everything is fine. 16 hours after pitch (probably much sooner) bubbling along nicely. I'll likely open it later tonight to temp it because I am curious. I no longer trust fermometers. I've used them for so long, too. I feel cheated on... I guess they are better at taking ambient temp than wort temp. I knew that, but I never thought it could be off 10 degrees.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified