Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My brewery  (Read 9153 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Re: My brewery
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 02:42:49 pm »
There are probably no laws or codes that specifies that beer has to ferment within a specified temperature range or at least none I have ever seen. So, beer can be legally brewed at ambient temps or controlled to be fermented cooler or warmer, Brew-master's choice.

The code refers to using a non-commercial (for home use) fridge/freezer in a commercial setting.  cheers, j

Other than durability and service life, can't see how it makes a difference. Someone will be along shortly to school me... ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

jaybeerman

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 03:04:39 pm »
The code refers to using a non-commercial (for home use) fridge/freezer in a commercial setting.  cheers, j

Other than durability and service life, can't see how it makes a difference. Someone will be along shortly to school me... ;)

You're correct it doesn't make a difference, it's a stupid rule.  Nevertheless, our local (in many other locations as well) code states that you cannot use a non-commercial (for home use) fridge/freezer in a commercial setting.  They apply this to restaurants, bars and brewery settings alike; just goes with the trade.  cheers, j
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:29:42 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 03:26:37 pm »
Got it. Looking good major!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 10:33:10 pm »
Plastic kegs? Try cutting the top out of one of those and lighting a 90,000 btu burner under it.....NO SIR, I DON"T LIKE IT!  ;) ;D
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 07:09:29 am »
Plastic kegs? Try cutting the top out of one of those and lighting a 90,000 btu burner under it.....NO SIR, I DON"T LIKE IT!  ;) ;D

Exactly!  ;) Don't be too surprised when, in the next ten years, most breweries will be going to plastic kegs. They have just recently worked out some mechanical issues with them and now more and more breweries are moving in that direction.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 07:45:12 am »
How long did the planning and execution take from the conceptualization to the first day of operation of your brewery?
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 08:01:14 am »
I am also planning on using them.
Price is right and they do not have SS scrap value.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 10:23:25 am »
How long did the planning and execution take from the conceptualization to the first day of operation of your brewery?

It took us about a year from the very first meeting. Then about 6 months paying rent on the facility until we had the building turned into the brewery, and then it simply took about 2 months waiting before all the legal mumbo-jumbo went through.

I can go ahead and tell you also that it was about an 80K investment just to get up and running. We just recently secured a 50K loan to grow. But we are also making about 5K in sales per month right now on the small system, and in a week or two we should be able to double our capacity. Hell, I might even start making a little pay check soon.  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 10:33:53 am »

Home away from home, huh, Keith? 

Right now its not much more than 40 hours a week, though I have put a few 60 hours weeks in when need be. I know your reservations on making brewing a living but at this point (so far at least) I have never been so satisfied in my work as I am now. Haven't had even one day where I have "dreaded" going in, and have to force myself to take a few days off (because you could work there forever and never find the end of it!)

Very cool, man.  Glad to hear it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 12:47:46 pm »

It took us about a year from the very first meeting. Then about 6 months paying rent on the facility until we had the building turned into the brewery, and then it simply took about 2 months waiting before all the legal mumbo-jumbo went through.

I can go ahead and tell you also that it was about an 80K investment just to get up and running. We just recently secured a 50K loan to grow. But we are also making about 5K in sales per month right now on the small system, and in a week or two we should be able to double our capacity. Hell, I might even start making a little pay check soon.  ;)
Very cool.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 12:50:01 pm »

Very cool.

+1

I hope you guys can break on through to the other side.  :)
Ron Price

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 03:44:36 pm »

Exactly!  ;) Don't be too surprised when, in the next ten years, most breweries will be going to plastic kegs. They have just recently worked out some mechanical issues with them and now more and more breweries are moving in that direction.

Better make sure them's BPA free, yo!
Jesse

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 08:03:41 pm »
Just amazing! I still want to kick you in the coin purse, but still amazing! Congrats man.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 08:57:16 pm »

Kind of partial to SS myself but I wouldn't mind having one as a fermenter.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2011, 11:01:29 pm »
A few of you had PM'ed me over the last few months and asked to see some progress on the brewery. I finally have gotten time to upload some photos

Brew dog

You keep horses in the brewery?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907