Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New mashtun  (Read 1942 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
New mashtun
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:30:57 pm »
Woo Hoo! just tested my new 70 quart Coleman Extreme mash tun. I ended up going super cheap and easy as the money never lasts as long as I would hope. So I took a 3 foot length of 5/8 OD plastic tubing and, after heating it up a little in hot water, forced it through the existing drain. Fits like it's made for it! Hose clamp the 1 inch hot water heater SS braid to the inside bit and we are good to go. I just stick the outside end of the tube in the handle to hold it above the liquid level and viola. maybe someday I will get a valve or something. Just in time to mash 25 lbs of 2 row for my maple barley wine!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: New mashtun
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:30:29 am »
I just stick the outside end of the tube in the handle to hold it above the liquid level and viola. maybe someday I will get a valve or something.

May not ever happen.  I've been using the handle trick with mine for several years now.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:52 am »
I also did the "drain thang" but I fashioned a valve that just pops off the hose when done mashing. This way I can control the flow-rate if needed.

Additionally I also got the hot water heater braid, it works well but had to insert a coil of stiff copper wire down into it. This helps counteract the tendency of the braid to collapse under the weight of the mash- especially big thick ones. Not sure if it will be an issue for you or others with the smaller diameter braids.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »
I haven't found anything to be gained by a larger diameter braid.  Have you compared it to a smaller one?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:57:30 pm »
well we will see. if it is collapsed should I expect a stuck runoff?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 02:11:46 pm »
 I agree that length or diameter has no bearing with a batch sparge.

My cooler/mash tun has a short length of plastic pipe where the valve was and braid clamped to it and it works fine. I wonder if you just clamped a SS scrubbie to the pipe it would work as well? Or maybe even stuff the pie with a piece of the scrubbie. After all, were just trying to keep the grain in the tun.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:48:45 pm »
well we will see. if it is collapsed should I expect a stuck runoff?

Maybe. Hard to say but it was something that was recommended to me during some runoff woes. Compacting the grain-bed is more of an issue IMO than a squished braid.

I agree that length or diameter has no bearing with a batch sparge.

My cooler/mash tun has a short length of plastic pipe where the valve was and braid clamped to it and it works fine. I wonder if you just clamped a SS scrubbie to the pipe it would work as well? Or maybe even stuff the pie with a piece of the scrubbie. After all, were just trying to keep the grain in the tun.

Bet it would get clogged. But then again I want to use one in the BK so who knows...?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis