Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bitter aftertaste  (Read 2150 times)

Offline cytorunner

• Cellarman
Bitter aftertaste
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:46:31 pm »
I am getting a bitter aftertaste in a California Common that I bottled about four weeks ago.  The first few bottles that I cracked were great very clean and fruity but as the beer has aged it gets more bitter at the end.  I did not have any problems while bottling, the bottles were sanitized with bleach and run through the dishwasher at the sanitize setting.  I am storing the bottles in a closet with a very constant temperature of 68 degrees.  I only thing that could be a problem is I added silica gel as a fining agent but I've used it in the past with out a problem.  I would appreciate any help or advise thanks.
Jim

On Tap: Irish Red
Primary: Brown Porter
Secondary: Nothing

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Bitter aftertaste
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:22:41 pm »
I've had this happen before. Put it up to two things: carbonation increasing and/or the beer continuing to condition. Have you brewed this particular beer before?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline cytorunner

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:31:21 am »
I haven't brewed this beer before so it is totally possible that this is just the character of the beer.  This is my first solo batch so I guess I'm just getting a bit paranoid about any off flavors.  Thanks Euge
Jim

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:34:35 am »
I find that California Commons improve significantly with some lagering time. I don't know if it will help this situation, but it's worth a shot. Throw some of the bottles in the fridge for 3-4 weeks and see if the beer improves.
Mark Gres

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:32:17 am »
I find that California Commons improve significantly with some lagering time. I don't know if it will help this situation, but it's worth a shot. Throw some of the bottles in the fridge for 3-4 weeks and see if the beer improves.

+1

Lagering (aging) the beer should help round out the profile.
Ron Price

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 03:05:14 pm »
I've had a common do exactly what you just described...Start mellow, get more bitter, and then it seemed to settle down.
Not sure why, but it happened.

Offline cytorunner

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 08:52:13 pm »

I thinks that this is exactly what it needs, I grabbed a bottle tonight that had been sitting in the fridge for about two weeks and the bitterness is less pronounced.  I'm going to let that remaining bottles chill out in the fridge and we will see in a few weeks.  thanks for the advise. 
Jim