Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging Newbie  (Read 2118 times)

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
Kegging Newbie
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:32:31 am »
My 1st batch of beer is ready to be bottled or kegged.

Ive decided for convience that I want to keg my homebrews, plus I like new toys (kegs, gas tanks, gauges etc..)

I want to buy something thats good quality and going to last a long time. Can easily be converted to use with my chest freezer kegarator once I build it. A C02 gas tank that can run several 5g corneys.

Any recommendations on a setup to buy would be great appreciated. Theres a lot to choose from out there and I want to be sure im spending my $$ wisely.

Another question.

I should have had this already, but thought I would be bottling. Is it cool that the beer stays in the fermenter another week untill what ever I buy arrives? Beer began fermenting on Feb 10 it is now done. From my understanding it will just continue to age in the fermenter so do not think there is a issue leaving it for another week. Sorry for the newbie questions.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kegging Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:47:55 am »
Your beer will be fine for a couple of weeks after reaching FG so don't worry at all about that. 
Any CO2 tank will run 5 or 6 cornies, all you have to have is some sort of manifold so you can split the gas hose for each keg.  I prefer a manifold like this:http://morebeer.com/view_product/16388/102238/Gas_Manifold_-_2_Way.  You can add as many as you need, I run 6 kegs off one tank and a 6 way manifold.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:02:23 am »
Cool, good to know on the manifold.

And if I understand correctly, because im using the C02 there is not a need to prime the beer like I would if I was bottling. The C02 will force carbonate the beer, correct?

Man this stuff is fun! Already invisioning a work shop and bar..

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:34:47 pm »
you can go either way on carbonating....either prime with sugar or force carbonate....both work ok.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:09:09 pm »
Cool, good to know on the manifold.

And if I understand correctly, because im using the C02 there is not a need to prime the beer like I would if I was bottling. The C02 will force carbonate the beer, correct?

Man this stuff is fun! Already invisioning a work shop and bar..

Correct. There will be no need to prime the beer with sugar as the CO2 will force carbonate the beer to the prescribed volume.

I recently purchased a 10# CO2 tank because the cost to refill is only $1.00 more for ten pounds than it is to refill a 5 pound cylinder at my local gas distributor.

Here's some kegerator kits.

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=DBKK
Ron Price

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 06:21:37 pm »
I got a double body co2 regulator, so I can run two pressures, one for force carbing and one for serving.  That way you can stay ahead of the game.  Two manifolds and you're set!!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:33:05 pm »
Two good places to fill tanks while you wait. Natwell welding supply on Culebra and I-10 or A1 Fire and Safety at  203 E. Rhapsody.

Avoid Amerigas on I-35. They're complete jerks and also won't fill while you wait.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 07:47:59 pm »
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a CO2 tank, probably this weekend.  I'm leaning towards going the exchange rather than the fill route because I haven't found a good place nearby that will fill, but Robert's Oxygen right down the road will exchange.

And with that purchase I will finally have all of the components necessary to fill and pressurize kegs.  Still no serving freezer yet but I can get started.  Get ready for the stupid questions....
Clint
Wort Hogs