Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Going extinct?  (Read 4053 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Going extinct?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 09:14:28 pm »

Those with "Spartanburg" or "Firestone" stamped on them were made in my home town. The company is still in business but I don't know if the are still stamping kegs. I think they have converted over to the automotive business now for the local BMW plant.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 05:47:17 am »
I guess the question is ... have we hit Peak Corny?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 06:17:35 am »
Although these kegs are not really a consumable item, damage and selling them for scrap will reduce their numbers.  I get the impression that someone is still manufacturing these kegs, so maybe we're not really at Peak Corny yet.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 06:19:06 am »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 07:11:23 am »
I was thinking of the term peak corny....since the beverage manufacturers stopped using them, yes, we are past peak....but our homebrewer needs are small, so even if every homebrewer in America needs an average of 10 corny's, there are probably enough corny kegs to go around.  Same if the brewers stop using stainless kegs or even glass bottles.

AHA membership is about what, 30,000, and let's say only 1/3 of homebrewers belong to the AHA (we know it is all the good ones, right?).  100,000 brewers.  If we all had 10 kegs on average (which is a higher number than probably actual), the total demand is 750,000, and if we need to replace 1% per year (which seems high, too) , that is only an additional 7,500 per year.  Someday, we run out of reconditioned kegs....but I am not sure there is a real shortage now.  I don't know what the cost should be, but it shouldn't be spiking due to shortage, but maybe more likely due to increased demand for stainless steel....and every time I see someone mention that they are becoming scarce, that time is not now and it drives me nuts.

Current prices seem to be $40-$50 retail, or $20-$35 resale or wholesale.  Is that reasonable?  I don't know.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 08:55:12 am »
Gary would know for sure, but IIRC the total estimate of homebrewers in the Us is over 200K.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 09:43:37 am »
Homebrewers are not the only folks who have been using cornies for other purposes over the years either. 

I was up at my Mom's this past weekend to go through the tools that are left in the house.  I had forgotten about a yard sprayer my Dad bought 25 (or so) years ago that was made from a 5 gallon corny keg.  The OUT post was replaced with a hose and spray handle and the IN is a Schraeder valve.  It's the most durable hand sprayer I've ever seen.  No pumping to pressurize, just hit it with the air compressor.

Who knows what else people have made.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 09:52:40 am »
My supplier (a beverage company that supplies co2 to retaurants & bars) tells me that the Cornies started getting largely phased out by the beverage industry at least 20-25  years ago.   So I'd say that used ones will indeed start to become rarer in the coming years. 
Even though the beverage industry has abandoned them, new ones are still being manufactured, but they sure are pricey!

so the question that comes to my mind is..... who (what industry) is buying these new cornies? certainly they aren't all being bought by homebrewers (we're too 'frugal' a bunch). if we knew what industry is using them, that might provide a source for used kegs down the road. anyone know anything about this?

I was at a brewery earlier this year and they were using converted cornies as sixtels.  The welded the posts shut and modified the lid with a sanke tap on the top.  The lid was also welded shut.  There had to be about 50 of them in the brewery, and I am sure they cost a heckuva' lot less than new ones.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 11:11:14 am »
Gary would know for sure, but IIRC the total estimate of homebrewers in the Us is over 200K.

I believe the estimate is 750k involved in homebrewing per year (including I believe those who are one and done types)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison