Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Possibly botched brew/Rookie mistake  (Read 1654 times)

Offline aubeertine31

• Cellarman
Possibly botched brew/Rookie mistake
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:58:10 pm »
Was on my 3rd ever brew today and not going to lie, I think I got a little bit cocky. My first two went over really well (process as well as tastings) so I figured I had this thing down. Things started to go downhill when I panicked at my LHBS when they didn't have the grains I wanted, so I tried to make some quick substitutions and ended up getting too much and not enough of a few, pushing the color and gravity out of style (Irish red). So made the trip back today and got what I wanted, but turns out when the hops packages say "2 x 1/2 ounce" it means you're only getting 1oz of hops, not 2.5oz like I needed. With SWMBO rushing my process, I didn't notice until it was too late...

any who, to make a long story (too late for that too) short, I'm way behind on my IBUs. Can I just go shopping say tomorrow, buy the correct amount of hops, boil them for alpha acid extraction and add it to my fermenting wort? I feel like I'm grasping at straws here, but figured it could work. I realize the contamination risk is increased, but I'd rather take the chance. Otherwise, it's going to be some SWEET (literally) beer for St. Patty's Day. Thanks for any advice
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Possibly botched brew/Rookie mistake
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:04:25 pm »
It may turn out good anyway. And attempting to rescue a batch is tricky. Consider dry hopping it to counter the sweetness and/or blending in more alcohol.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:21:51 pm »
You could brew a small one-gallon batch of a similar recipe, but jack up the IBUs to 100 or whatever, and then blend the two batches.  I've done it before, and it works if you know what you're shooting for.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:09:38 pm »
I don't know how much I'd mess with it as an Irish Red has very little hop bitterness anyways.  Like Euge says, can be kinda tricky trying to correct something like this.
Joe

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:28:19 pm »
It's actually an easy fix. IsoHop. Then you're gonna have to underbitter several batches to use it up. I fixed 10g of a porter a while back, then because of work obligations, didn't brew in time to use the rest. Crap!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:46:41 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline aubeertine31

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 05:36:05 pm »
Nice! I looked into IsoHop, but you're right, I just don't think I would use it in time. I was considering dry-hopping it also, but I didn't think that would contribute to the overall bitterness, just to the aroma, right? Then I was thinking I could just boil some hops in about 1/2 gallon of water then add it to the fermenter. Wasn't too confident in the calculations though, so I'll probably just leave it. Thanks for the suggestions and maybe I'll get lucky.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:07:37 pm »
Nice! I looked into IsoHop, but you're right, I just don't think I would use it in time. I was considering dry-hopping it also, but I didn't think that would contribute to the overall bitterness, just to the aroma, right? Then I was thinking I could just boil some hops in about 1/2 gallon of water then add it to the fermenter. Wasn't too confident in the calculations though, so I'll probably just leave it. Thanks for the suggestions and maybe I'll get lucky.

To me dry-hopping gives flavor as well. However, if you plan on boiling up some hops do it in wort instead of plain water. Using plain water won't give you the results you're thinking of, but more of a vegetal flavor.

But, you might even like the way it turns out as it is now. Good luck and RDWHAHB.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis