Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First brew new mash tun  (Read 1222 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
First brew new mash tun
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:09:56 am »
Okay it is in the carboy and the homebrew is being had. (Well actually it's lagunitas gnarly wine but...) So my planned 1.111 maple barley wine ended up a 1.096 maple barley wine and a 1.032 small beer.

I realized that the amount of water Beer smith wanted me to mash in with was more or less everything I needed for my pre-boil volume for the barley wine. so I decided that I would use up some cascade I had in the freezer and stop the second runnings when I had my 7 gallons. I managed another 2-3 gallons afterwards and boiled them both up. I had to dilute the 1.75 gallons of 'second runnings' to make the small beer.

So I am putting my numbers into Beer Smith to see what kind of efficiency I got with my new (blue) coleman extreme 70 qt and found only 54%. But the I remembered the small beer and used the dilution tool to do the math and....

80% effiecieny!

woo hoo. Best I had managed since going all grain was 63 and with high gravity I was getting crappy (45) numbers. but I am going good now. and an extra 3.5 gallons of beer to boot.

I think I might add another pound of maple syrup after fermentation has settled down a little though. there is 1.25 lbs in there now to 25 lbs of gambrinus pale malt. so I am not worried about to much simple sugar.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: First brew new mash tun
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 06:56:37 am »
Only 80% ?  The blue cooler should have given you 110%  ;D

Seriously though, nice job.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:38:11 pm »
Good job. The Extreme rulez...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:01:35 pm »
Only 80% ?  The blue cooler should have given you 110%  ;D

Seriously though, nice job.

That's for next time!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"