Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ideal temperatures on fermentation  (Read 6402 times)

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
Ideal temperatures on fermentation
« on: February 21, 2011, 01:34:07 am »
[EDIT: I didn't read the packet close enough. WYeast is not putting out contradictory information.  I humbly apologize for the confusion  :-[ ]

I'm finally getting around to my 2nd batch, and am using Denny's Favorite 50.  The WYeast package it came in has on the package a range of 21-24 degrees C, but when I look on the WYeast website it says 15-21 degrees C.  I'm assuming if I've been fermenting at the higher temps according to the package it won't make much of a difference, but I find the conflicting information odd given they are both from WYeast
Admittedly, the package looks like a generic WYeast package with "Denny's Favorite 50" stamped on it.  I'm in Italy, so I assume there's a WYeast lab affiliate here in Europe somewhere.  Would they have less accurate packaging procedures though?
Since I'm a noobie, I don't know how big the margin of error is on certain things yet.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:15:23 am by brewmonk »
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Ideal temperatures on fermentation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 01:45:59 am »
I'm sure Denny will chime in when he sees this, but in case you are in a rush  . . . my notes on Brewtek CL-50, which is what Denny's Favorite is, say to ferment between 60-70F, so 15.5-21.1 F.  It looks like the website is the best source of information in this case.

As far as I know they have dealers in various countries, but there is no European affiliate of Wyeast.  If there is I'd love to hear about it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 01:57:44 am »
As far as I know they have dealers in various countries, but there is no European affiliate of Wyeast.  If there is I'd love to hear about it.

You might try contacting Brouwland - they're the major European distributor for Wyeast. http://www.brouwland.com
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 02:16:37 am »
I sent an email to Greg Doss, it might take him a couple of days to get back to me but when he does I'll let you know what he says.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:35:25 am »
I've used 1450 quite a bit and it ferments nicely at 65F which is about 18C. It has a slight lag but then takes off pretty good and finishes within a few days. I give it at least 14 days before I rack into the keg. I have even fermented in the low 60's with good success.

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:37:23 am »
I'm in Italy, so I assume there's a WYeast lab affiliate here in Europe somewhere. 
<snip>
Since I'm a noobie, I don't know how big the margin of error is on certain things yet.
A good practice is to pitch a little colder that the fermentation temp and let the temp rise to the stated fermentation temp.

If you are homebrewing in Italy, you are making me jealous.  Make the most of your time there.  Couldn't always find good beer there 5-6 years back, but good food and wine were no problem.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:45:47 am »
Geeze, do I feel foolish.  When in doubt read the instructions.  WYeast had no conflicting information.  The higher temperature was the pitching temperature, then the last step "adjust to desired fermentation temperature."

So, forgive my false accusation of WYeast.  Their package was accurate.

Still, I have mistakenly been fermenting a bit higher (around 22 C), will this cause problems?

Thanks.
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:53:34 am »
I would not want to go any higher than 22C.  It will make beer, though.

Try controling the temps on the next beer.  Pitch low and let it rise up.  See if you like that beer better.  Fermentation control is one of the keys to making excellent beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:20:10 am »
Could that be why there is a green apple smell, because I am fermenting a bit higher? or is that just natural with Denny's Fav? (I pray I don't have bacteria).

The recipe is:
50 g cracked crystal malt
100 g of cracked chocolate malt (both steeped 30 min at about 70° C in 1 gallon of water)
added 2 more gallons of water after steeping and brought to boil
1 can of coopers lager liquid malt kit (added at boil)
1.5 kg (about 3 lbs) of light dry malt extract (added at boil)
boil time of 20 min
20 g Hallertaur Hersbrucker (added in last 10 min of boil)
topped off to a total of 5 gallons
yeast: Denny’s Favorite 50
OG was 1.060

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:22:19 am by brewmonk »
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 08:28:42 am »
You may have racked too soon.  Let the beer tell you when it is ready, not the calender.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 08:38:20 am »
No, I haven't racked yet.  It is still fermenting, but the smell coming from the bubbler is green apple.  I plan to let it sit for about a month total, but confirm with multiple gravity readings.

Like I said, I'm a noobie, so I have yet to let "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew" sink in yet.  ;)  I guess I just don't quite know what to expect when fermenting, as this is only my second batch ever.
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 09:28:10 am »
No, I haven't racked yet.  It is still fermenting, but the smell coming from the bubbler is green apple.  I plan to let it sit for about a month total, but confirm with multiple gravity readings.

Like I said, I'm a noobie, so I have yet to let "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew" sink in yet.  ;)  I guess I just don't quite know what to expect when fermenting, as this is only my second batch ever.

I pitch around 60F and ferment it 62-65F.

Did you make a starter with it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:24 am »
Well, I heard back from Greg rather quickly - he said that they ship quite a bit of yeast to Europe, they have no affiliate lab there.  He also said there was no packaging they use that had stickers on it - can you post a pic?  I'll let him know about the instructions mix up though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 11:18:38 am »
Well, I heard back from Greg rather quickly - he said that they ship quite a bit of yeast to Europe, they have no affiliate lab there.  He also said there was no packaging they use that had stickers on it - can you post a pic?  I'll let him know about the instructions mix up though.
No mix up in packaging.  I failed to read ALL the instructions and confused the pitching temperature as the fermenting temperature.  As I looked at the last line of the instructions, it said "adjust to desired fermentation temperature."  Sorry for the confusion.  There was actually no fermentation temperature listed on the package.

Denny, no, I didn't make a starter.  Just let the smack pack swell for about 2 hours.

Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 11:28:23 am »
Denny, no, I didn't make a starter.  Just let the smack pack swell for about 2 hours.
BAD Brewmonk! Denny - Send him back to 'First Kit'
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!