Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: beer Books?  (Read 4081 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: beer Books?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 10:16:28 am »
whoops.  i glossed over the bedtime reading part....  designing great beers is pretty in depth and not really casual reading.  i agree.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 10:31:35 am »
whoops.  i glossed over the bedtime reading part....  designing great beers is pretty in depth and not really casual reading.  i agree.

Something to keep in mind about DGB is that it's getting very dated at this point.  There are a lot of new ingredients and techniques that aren't covered in the book. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 10:36:47 am »
All these titles are great guys

Looking for both light reading and more detailed indepth books as well.

Wife and I have a book shelf in our room, I have one shelf to myself that are all pretty much DIY type books for my various hobbies. Aquariums saltwater and fresh, reptiles, classic cars and now beer! I think this is going to be one of the most rewarding hobbies ive ever had because other get to really try my beer and share with me what they think.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 11:15:26 am »
I have quite a beer library, collected over the past 20 years.  The one I reach for most for reference is Brewing Lager Beer by the late Greg Noonan.
For recipe formulation help I like Brewing Classic Styles.
For general recreational reading I like Radical Brewing.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 11:37:58 am »
I love Radical Brewing for crazy ideas for recipes and weird ingredients.  This is probably my favorite book.

How to Brew for technical info.

The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing for beginners because I think it is a better starter book.

Various style books for the appropriate styles.

Lots of recipe books that I look at for ideas, but Brewing Classic Styles is my favorite for great recipes to start from.

I haven't delved in to any of the new books yet, they're in the pile though :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 11:42:13 am »
Every year around Big Brew time (May-ish?), I add to my book collection by getting whatever book AHA is offering free with renewal.  :)
Joe

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 11:55:48 am »

Something to keep in mind about DGB is that it's getting very dated at this point.  There are a lot of new ingredients and techniques that aren't covered in the book. 

Although DGB is very good for summaries of style history.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 12:40:31 pm »

Although DGB is very good for summaries of style history.

Yep....just watch those recipes in there.  Many of the award winning beers would be made differently these days due to different ingredients being available.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell