Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beans are toxic? Who Knew  (Read 3710 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Beans are toxic? Who Knew
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:16:40 pm »
From Wikipedia:

Toxicity

The toxic compound phytohaemagglutinin, a lectin, is present in many varieties of common bean but is especially concentrated in red kidney beans. Phytohaemagglutinin can be deactivated by cooking beans at 100 °C (212 °F) for ten minutes. However, for dry beans the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also recommends an initial soak of at least 5 hours in water; the soaking water should be discarded.[2]

The ten minutes at 100 °C (212 °F) is required to degrade the toxin is much shorter than the hours required to fully cook the beans themselves. However, lower cooking temperatures may have the paradoxical effect of potentiating the toxic effect of haemagglutinin. Beans cooked at 80 °C (176 °F) are reported to be up five times as toxic as raw beans.[2] Outbreaks of poisoning have been associated with the use of slow cookers, the low cooking temperatures of which may be unable to degrade the toxin.

The primary symptoms of phytohaemagglutinin poisoning are nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Onset is from 1 to 3 hours after consumption of improperly prepared beans, and symptoms typically resolve within a few hours.[2] Consumption of as few as four or five raw kidney beans may be sufficient to trigger symptoms.

Beans are high in purines, which are metabolized to uric acid. Uric acid is not itself considered a toxin, but it may promote the development or exacerbation of gout. For this reason, persons with gout are often advised to limit their consumption of beans.[3] Uric acid is also an important antioxidant in humans and, according to cohort studies, might be neuroprotective in cases of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Beans are toxic? Who Knew
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 05:31:19 pm »
:o

I knew castor beans are used to make ricin, but I didn't know about kidney and other common beans . . . so if you ground up 4-5 kidney beans and fed them to someone you could induce nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea?  Interesting . . . and mean. :)

Outbreaks of poisoning have been associated with the use of slow cookers, the low cooking temperatures of which may be unable to degrade the toxin.

Don't let Cap read that part! ;D

Wait, so if slow cooked beans can be 5 times as poisonous, a single slow cooked bean may cause the symptoms?  Crazy.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:58:17 pm »
I thought this was going to be a story about your wife holding you under the bed covers after releasing a SBD (silent, but deadly).

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:02:09 pm »
Which is why I soak for 16-24 hours with three water changes and then do them fast in a pressure cooker. Usually the beans are ready in less than an hour.

Gets rid of some of the oligosaccarides too and they ain't as gassy. ;D 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:26:24 pm »
Just another reason to loose the crock pot, or as I call it the "crock of sh#t pot".

..well unless you are going to get into candle making, which is fun by the way. I have found that making molds of different body parts works well for casting candles.

Chick peas are very toxic. They must be extra high in the toxins. I have heard people say to never slow cook chick peas.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 12:39:21 am »
Just another reason to loose the crock pot, or as I call it the "crock of sh#t pot".

..well unless you are going to get into candle making, which is fun by the way. I have found that making molds of different body parts works well for casting candles.

Chick peas are very toxic. They must be extra high in the toxins. I have heard people say to never slow cook chick peas.

You know you have issues, right? I mean, I can't be the first guy to tell you this. Issues.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:42:55 am »

You know you have issues, right? I mean, I can't be the first guy to tell you this. Issues.

And that hot wax burns... oooh.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:40:34 am »

I agree. Issues.
 But, somehow strangely intriguing.
 I've made candles before but in "traditional" shapes. Might be time to pull out the ol wax pot 8)

Wait, so if slow cooked beans can be 5 times as poisonous, a single slow cooked bean may cause the symptoms?  Crazy.

I never have been one to cook beans in the slow cooker. I do them more of the method EUGE described. But I have eat dishes prepared by others (my mother for example) with beans in the slow cooker. Never knew how close to death I was.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:04:51 pm »

Wait, so if slow cooked beans can be 5 times as poisonous, a single slow cooked bean may cause the symptoms?  Crazy.

I never have been one to cook beans in the slow cooker. I do them more of the method EUGE described. But I have eat dishes prepared by others (my mother for example) with beans in the slow cooker. Never knew how close to death I was.
I do them all of the time - but then they are usually black or pinto beans which might be lower in the toxin (they say in the red kidney beans it is "especially concentrated"), and I cook them on high for 6 hours or so.  I've never had a problem, but I'm going to have to rethink some of my recipes.

I brought up the pressure cooker to my wife, but she says I have to get rid of something before I can add another piece of equipment :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 12:13:24 pm »
Trade the crock pot for a pressure cooker. It does in twenty mins what the crock pot does in ten hours.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 12:22:02 pm »
I like my crock pot for lots of stuff, not just beans.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 01:20:15 pm »
Trade the crock pot for a pressure cooker. It does in twenty mins what the crock pot does in ten hours.

I've got four pressure cookers; 20qt, 12 qt, 8 qt and a 2 qt. and I love them all.

I like to do "one pot" meals in them.

I cannot tell the difference in beans cooked 25 minutes in a pressure cooker and the ones simmered for hours in my cast iron dutch oven.

Spaghetti sauce, chili, and other traditionally long simmered foods are the same way. Saves a bunch of time and gas. Plus, it serves as an autoclave if you need to sterilize something like utensils and hop bags for brewing.

And of course, canning. That's what the 20 qt one was bought for. I can wort for starters for long term storage too.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 02:15:01 pm »
Tom,  but I bet the pressure cooker will do all those other  things. better and in a fraction of the time.

Well, maybe the pressure cooker isnt good for making candles, or keeping your balls warm during the party, meat balls that is. But for meats and stews and stuff. Pressure cooker takes it hands down.

And if you like the idea of having a stew prepped in advance it works too. Just put all the ingredients in the pressure cooker and stick it in the frige. When you get home, put it on the sove till it rattles, turn it on low. Dinner will be ready by hte time you get out of the shower.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 02:17:35 pm »

And that hot wax burns... oooh.

I was talking about hands and feet. My daughters hands and feet.

What an imagination...Now, who has issues?

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 03:58:38 pm »
I see your point.  ;D
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”