Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Building a new mashtun!  (Read 9564 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Building a new mashtun!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 09:00:06 am »
Since you got the blue one, make sure you adjust your recipe to compensate for the 110% efficiency you're going to get. The blue goes up to 11!  ;)

David St. Hubbins approves of blue coolers!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 10:03:03 am »
If I can offer some advice on the conversion.  You will want to use a longer pipe nipple than the one in the lustreking link.  I think it's 1.5".  Also, I would suggest using the white gasket on the coleman xtreme cooler rather than a red silicone ring.  I have never had the red rings seal well on this brand of cooler.  The white gasket on the coleman, however, works like a charm.

Good luck!
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 10:07:47 am »
I'd suggest not using a bulkhead at all and simply running apiece of tubing through the cooler wall like I do.  I've found that, at least with my cooler, it works far better than a bulkhead.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 10:29:43 am »
I'd suggest not using a bulkhead at all and simply running apiece of tubing through the cooler wall like I do.  I've found that, at least with my cooler, it works far better than a bulkhead.

what do you use to keep it from draining while mashing? do you just raise the end above the liquid level? a hose clamp?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 11:06:23 am »
what do you use to keep it from draining while mashing? do you just raise the end above the liquid level? a hose clamp?

I go for the ultimate in simplicity and just raise the end above the liquid.  Cooler handle works perfectly for holding it up.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 11:10:22 am »

An inline nylon valve...

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 10:40:50 am »
Different setups work better for different people.  For me, the bulkhead was easy.  The parts on weldlessfittings.com are reasonably cheap, too.  I have a quick disconnect on my ball valve that allows me to swap hoses easily whether I need them in another part of the brewery or to clean them. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:52 am »
The problem I had with a bulkhead was that it held the braid off the floor of the cooler, and I didn't get a siphon to empty out all the wort.  But I assume different coolers will work in different ways.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:55 am »
I just tested mine this morning with water.  With a braid and a bulkhead installed when drained on a level surface about a pint of water was left behind.  It looked like a good portion of that would have been recovered if I angled the cooler.  Either way it is a big improvement over what is left behind in my round cooler with a bazooka-T.

Can't wait to mash in it this weekend

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 12:07:01 pm »
The problem I had with a bulkhead was that it held the braid off the floor of the cooler, and I didn't get a siphon to empty out all the wort.  But I assume different coolers will work in different ways.

Not much dead space in a Coleman Xtreme.  I tried the braid for a few batches, but ultimately switched to a bazooka screen.  I know you tried both and reached the opposite result. 

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 12:51:35 pm »

Not much dead space in a Coleman Xtreme.  I tried the braid for a few batches, but ultimately switched to a bazooka screen.  I know you tried both and reached the opposite result. 

Well the bazooka screen is in my round cooler and I think the problem isn't the screen but just that the drain is positioned higher than in the extreme so its been leaving more behind.  The braid just seemed easier for me to set up in the xtreme than trying to adapt my bazooka-T set up to fit in.  I decided to leave all the fittings in my round cooler so I can pull it out and mash in that if I ever want to.  I'll see how well it works this weekend.

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 06:27:01 pm »
Brewed with the new mashtun last weekend.  What a great set up.  Way easier to mash in and great at holding the temperature.  The batch sparge was much faster and easier than my old setup.  I got clear wort almost right away with the braid in there and only had to recirculate a tiny amount.  On my old set up I would start getting clear wort but when I opened up the valve all the way it would get cloudy again.  No problem like that with this new set up.  Thanks to everyone else for advice and inspiration!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:31:30 pm by yeastmaster »