Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American wheat  (Read 9205 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: American wheat
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 09:09:10 am »
Talk about vacillation.
Make the grain bill whatever you will, but I concur with Denny and Keith's recommendations.

Consider a split batch approach, i.e., 5 gallons of wort splits into two 2.5 gallon batches for fermentation.

Batch 1:  American Wheat Style
My preferences would be to use one of these:
    WY1010--American Wheat Yeast or
    WY1056--American Ale Yeast or
    WY1272--American Ale II Yeast
Other Wyeast Strains to consider are:
    2565 - Kölsch™
    1007 - German Ale™
Consider dry hopping with a fruity C-hop for that 'hoppy' and 'fruity' effect.

Batch 2:  German Dunkelweizen
Consider using one of these Wyeast Strains:
    3056 - Bavarian Wheat Blend™
    3333 - German Wheat™
    3638 - Bavarian Wheat™
    3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen™

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »
thanks for all the suggestions. I really like the dry hopped idea. How long would you dry hop for?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 05:07:05 pm »
thanks for all the suggestions. I really like the dry hopped idea. How long would you dry hop for?

I haven't dry hopped an Amer. Wheat yet, but my pale ales and IPAs I usually dry hop about 7 days.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 05:33:46 pm »
thanks, that is about the length i was thinking. I have yet another question should i dry hop during the second week or the third week (i.e. closer to bottling or not)
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 08:25:16 pm »
thanks, that is about the length i was thinking. I have yet another question should i dry hop during the second week or the third week (i.e. closer to bottling or not)

Most of my ales(I don't brew many beers over 1.056) I let ferment in primary for three weeks then keg.  So when I dry hop, I'll just open up the primary and drop in the pellets after 14 days.  Then I leave it in for the remaining 7 days then keg.  So what ever amount of days you want to dry hop, just subtract back from the day you plan to bottle/keg.  Usually, when I dry hop for 7 days, this allows the hops enough time to settle to the bottom of the fermenter.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
American wheat
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 10:07:18 pm »

Ya know, as I keep reading your comments, I keep wondering if maybe you'd rather have an APA than a wheat beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 10:13:40 pm »
It seems like my mind is changing on that as well. I think the main reason why is my buddy likes wheat beers, but he wanted more of a "hop bite" to them. I thinking this beer is becoming more like a wheat ipa, like Sam Adams. I'm beginning to think that i may just scale back the hops a bit and have wheat beer with American ingredients. I can always make a wheat ipa later  :)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
American wheat
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 10:23:55 pm »
It seems like my mind is changing on that as well. I think the main reason why is my buddy likes wheat beers, but he wanted more of a "hop bite" to them. I thinking this beer is becoming more like a wheat ipa, like Sam Adams. I'm beginning to think that i may just scale back the hops a bit and have wheat beer with American ingredients. I can always make a wheat ipa later  :)

I wrote an article on recipe formulation that's in the new issue of Zymurgy.  The main point of the article is that you've got to know where you're going so you know when you get there.  I suggest you take a few minutes to really think about what you want this beer to be like.  Try to "taste" it in your mind.  When you have a good idea of what that taste is, start over on your recipe.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 11:13:09 pm »

I wrote an article on recipe formulation that's in the new issue of Zymurgy.  The main point of the article is that you've got to know where you're going so you know when you get there.  I suggest you take a few minutes to really think about what you want this beer to be like.  Try to "taste" it in your mind.  When you have a good idea of what that taste is, start over on your recipe.

Got my copy of Zymurgy today and read your article Denny.  Very insightful and one key I took out of it is to change one thing in your recipe at a time to really get a feel and knowledge of what each ingredient holds. 
Jeremy Baker