Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Protein Coagulation  (Read 13920 times)

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
Protein Coagulation
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:07:13 pm »
If I could attach a picture of my mash tun after sparge, I would.  But since I'm struggling with that, I'll accept that you know what I'm writing about.  Kai, in his video on decoction mashing, calls it protein coagulation.  To me it's a thing of beauty, removing all that protein from the wort before it gets into the boil.  For me, it is a relatively new phenomena, but my questions are:  Is it due to decoction mashing primarily?, or is it mainly the protein rest I do as part of it?, or is it due to controlling the mash ph which is also new for me?, or is it due to adjusting my water chemistry to fit guidelines? or some of everything?
Also, is it unanimous that this is a good thing? or is there newer evidence that protein coagulation is not so great?  Is it possible to get this kind of coagulation with single infusion mashing?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:48:06 pm by Kirk »
Kirk Howell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Protein Coagulation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:03:55 pm »
Is it possible to get this kind of coagulation with single infusion mashing?

Yes, it is.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:11:08 pm »
From what I understand, most malts we buy these days are so well modified, that decoction is not needed.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 07:06:39 pm »
OK, so if it is possible, how?  I've never seen it.
Kirk Howell

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »
From what I understand, most malts we buy these days are so well modified, that decoction is not needed.

That is the premise that I am operating under. So far, so good.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:24:09 pm »
OK, so if it is possible, how?  I've never seen it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing.  Protein coagulation is most noticeable in the boil kettle just prior to and just after the boil begins, and when the beer is cooled after boiling.  In both cases, the protein coagulation will cause the wort to look like egg drop soup (small masses of whitish proteins suspended in wort).

If you're just describing the sediment that ends up on the top of the grainbed after vorlauf, that's a natural occurrence in just about any mash, and I'm not even sure that it's made up solely of proteins.  I think much of it is grain flour, i.e., endosperm particles.

In any case, whatever proteins are coagulated in the mash tun have a pretty negligible effect on the finished beer, IME.  If noticeable coagulation is a concern of yours, you should be paying attention to the hot and cold break in the boil kettle.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:26:47 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:25:58 pm »
you get protein coagulation with every mashing style, but you'll get more with decoction mashing since the mash is subjected to higher temperatures which increases the amount of coagulation.

Kai

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 10:18:43 pm »
you get protein coagulation with every mashing style, but you'll get more with decoction mashing since the mash is subjected to higher temperatures which increases the amount of coagulation.

Kai

Thanks Kai, I thought I was being clear.  Since I've begun decoction mashing I've had boucoup coagulation in the mash, and it's very noticeable, unmistakeable, pasty goop on top of the grain bed.  Now I think that is a super thing to have.  Apparently, some of you don't experience that because you do single infusion mashes, and your proteins coagulate more in the boil.  So I guess to each his own, but for now, I'm sticking with decoction.  I presume that ph control and mineral additions help you get your egg drop soup effect in the boil, and then it gets left behind in the bottom of the brew kettle.  And if so, then the end result is basically the same.  But that is the discussion I was hoping would be generated in this thread, from you who have years of experience and science to back it up, but it seems we're stuck in the weeds.
Kirk Howell

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:14:45 am »
Brewing Science and Practice by Briggs, et al, p121, says that the Oberteig (which is what this layer of mud is called) is made of a gel-like material made of about 20% Protein and 40% Carbohydrates and micro-aggregates made of about 4-21% Starch, 3-19% ß-Glucan, 5-31% Pentosan, and 26-42% Protein. 

I get significant amounts of Oberteig even when I use a single infusion.  I may get more when I step mash (independent of whether I decoct), but I've never tried to quantify it in any way.  I may just expect more because I expect time at a higher temperature should result in more precipitation.  I do modify my water to correct pH and Calcium levels, which should be a factor, just as it is in the boil.  I also tend to get crystal clear beers without significant cold conditioning, often right out of primary or within a couple days of completing carbonation.

I can't find the reference at the moment, but I've read that significantly more protein precipitates in the mash, actually, than in the boil.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:03:26 am »
I can't find the reference at the moment, but I've read that significantly more protein precipitates in the mash, actually, than in the boil.

It's also in the Briggs book.

I don't think it matters much where the protein is left behind.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:59:05 am »
I also find it to be somewhat related to whose malt I use, which seems only natural.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davisdandrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 11:22:57 pm »
I also find it to be somewhat related to whose malt I use, which seems only natural.
Ihave also noticed that. I find pils malt to give a ton of hot break while munich malt seems to give very little hot break even after a long boil. has anyone else noticed that or is ti just me?

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 08:48:19 am »
I think what Kai said is so true and it does not matter where you leave it behind.
Reason I say that is because I put cold break and all into my primary and after
the ferment, it gets left in the bottom of the primary, what my racking technique
misses settles out to the bottom in secondary. My beers have been nice and clear
with no chill haze or haze at all...
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 12:59:07 pm »
I think what Kai said is so true and it does not matter where you leave it behind.
Reason I say that is because I put cold break and all into my primary and after
the ferment, it gets left in the bottom of the primary, what my racking technique
misses settles out to the bottom in secondary. My beers have been nice and clear
with no chill haze or haze at all...

+1 That's been my experience too.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 06:27:57 pm »
I find pils malt to give a ton of hot break