Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RYE / beer FLAVOR MATURITY  (Read 3041 times)

Offline brewdog86

• 1st Kit
RYE / beer FLAVOR MATURITY
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:02 pm »
im relativly new to brewing and made a recipie that was a mini mash with 2 pounds or rye and 2 pounds of honey plus amber and dark DME.  just moved it in to the secondary after 14 days and gave it a taste.
at first you could taste the rye and it was pretty strong, then the next taste the honey certainly came through and every taste i took gave me somthing new.
ive never brewed with rye before but im hoping that it tones down a bit and the honey malt comes through more after it chills out in the secondary for 2 weeks.
ANY THOUGHT OR INSIGHT? thanks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: RYE / beer FLAVOR MATURITY
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:38:09 am »
Ha ha... it is what it is, and all I can say is... YUM!!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brewdog86

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 11:33:27 am »
You don't think it's gonna change at all from secondary to bottle?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:00:55 pm »
Probably not much.  I take it you don't like rye.  I guess it's not for everyone.  But a lot of people, like me, do like it.  I don't think it is a very strong flavor, but I haven't used it all that much yet.  Just a couple of times so far.  But both brews were some of the best I've ever made.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:05:59 pm »
Are you certain it's the rye you;re tasting that you don't like?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »
Rye is f'ing awesome in beer! Taste tests vs carbonated finished product can be quite different. That's why I advocate force-carbing samples even if only 14 days old.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewdog86

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 05:21:12 pm »
not that i didnt like the rye, ive never used it before and i cant really remember ever drinking it but i wanted to make somehting with the honey taste and make it kinda spicey thats why i added rye.
the beer has rye, honey malt, 3 lbs amber dme 1 lb dark dme and paradise seeds.  the only thing i can think im drinking is either the rye or paradise seeds.
once again not that i didnt like it , just new and kind of a punch in the face, and i dont wanna guess which flavor im gonna get out of my beer every time i drink it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:28:40 pm »
How much grains of paradise did you use?  That stuff can be pretty intense if you overdo it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewdog86

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:06:11 pm »
i did a teaspoon the last 5 min of boil for 5 gallons of paradise seeds

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 06:08:06 pm »
That seems like quite a bit.  I'll have to check to be sure, though.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:44:46 pm »
I judged the "War of the Worts" comp last weekend and Dock Street Brewing Co from Philly was there serving their Rye IPA. It had a twang or spicy flavor from the rye with a generous amount of hops and finished kind of dry. I liked it.
Ron Price

Offline brewdog86

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 08:55:26 pm »
ya it defs finishes dry, the rye made up about 25% of my malt which from what i read most beers have about 5-20% rye, from what i found  from my other brews is that it will change from secondary to bottle.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »
A teaspoon of grains of paradise?  Oh my gosh.  Next time skip the grains of paradise -- that is most likely the slap in the face that you are tasting, NOT the rye.
Dave

Offline brewdog86

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:27:51 pm »
CORRECTION  it was 1/2 teaspoon. when i saw what you said i knew that couldnt be right cause i followed what i had read on directions for it, so i got off my ass and check my notes and it was 1/2 tsp MY BAD.  could it possibly be the combo of the rye and paradise?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 10:31:00 pm »
My package states 1/2 tsp for 5 gallons of Belgian specialty ale. Since buying I've read elsewhere that only a few grains are sufficient. Is this true? I'm planning on putting them in a wit. Maybe a rye Wit. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis