General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

What is S-04?

(1/2) > >>

skyler:
I was wondering, since I had thought S-04 was the same strain as 1099, but noticed a different effect on the beers produced... is it 1098? And are 1098 and 007 the same strain? Mr. Malty says they are, but I have heard such different things about these strains.

bo_gator:

--- Quote from: skyler on December 07, 2009, 02:07:04 PM --- And are 1098 and 007 the same strain? Mr. Malty says they are, but I have heard such different things about these strains.

--- End quote ---

I have never heard that before,but 1098 use to be my #1 English yeast, but recently switched over to 007. Next beer I brew with 007 I will have to keep this in mind :D

majorvices:
To my tastes it is most similar to WLP007 - IMO it is a little one dimensional compared to WLP007 and WLP002 - lacking some sort of background - I'm not sure how to explain it. Not that it is bad, just WLP007/002 makes English beers that taste more authentic. Anyone else feel this way or am I alone in the woods here?

babalu87:

--- Quote from: majorvices on December 08, 2009, 04:09:03 AM ---To my tastes it is most similar to WLP007 - IMO it is a little one dimensional compared to WLP007 and WLP002 - lacking some sort of background - I'm not sure how to explain it. Not that it is bad, just WLP007/002 makes English beers that taste more authentic. Anyone else feel this way or am I alone in the woods here?

--- End quote ---

Nope

It makes a good beer but there is something missing, hard to put a finger (tastebud) on, might be the lack of fruit-ish esters?
I agree, hard to pin down what its missing.

I made a lot of bitters with that yeast and they were all very nice beers but Wyeast 1469 is my new house yeast for bitters, that stuff RULES

bo_gator:

--- Quote from: babalu87 on December 08, 2009, 05:53:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: majorvices on December 08, 2009, 04:09:03 AM ---To my tastes it is most similar to WLP007 - IMO it is a little one dimensional compared to WLP007 and WLP002 - lacking some sort of background - I'm not sure how to explain it. Not that it is bad, just WLP007/002 makes English beers that taste more authentic. Anyone else feel this way or am I alone in the woods here?

--- End quote ---

Nope

It makes a good beer but there is something missing, hard to put a finger (tastebud) on, might be the lack of fruit-ish esters?
I agree, hard to pin down what its missing.

I made a lot of bitters with that yeast and they were all very nice beers but Wyeast 1469 is my new house yeast for bitters, that stuff RULES

--- End quote ---

I tend to agree with you a lot, but on this I must disagree here. 1469 is too hard of a yeast for me to work with, so it is number 1 on my poop list as of this fall

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version