Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brutus in aluminum?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline scouser

• 1st Kit
Brutus in aluminum?
« on: February 20, 2011, 04:04:15 pm »
So I think I am finnaly going to jump into home brewing.  My past hobbies do not seem condusive to my wife, and she knows drinking fire and fun will never stop in my world, but guns and high speeds may have to.
Anyway I have been doing some extensive research into setting up a system, and a 3 keg, single tier, 2 pump setup seems to hit the mark.  My intention would be to hook it up to a trailer hitch and move it around from time to time so weight is an issue.  40ft of 2x2 304 0.12 alone is around 125lbs, this is not going to work for me.  So now for the really stupid question, why has no one used aluminum?  If its a heat issue 304 in the heated zones could be bolted to a lighter subframe.  I am no welder but know a few, so I have heard welding aluminum is a nightmare is this true?
My only other option would be angle iron or a bedframe set up, but I could see such a system tubling down the road behind me on a road trip.
So whats the deal with this?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Brutus in aluminum?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:04:30 pm »
Not a comment on aluminum as such, but, considering you're "thinking of jumping into homebrewing", wouldn't it make more sense to try and get a few batches under your belt before jumping in all the way?
Joe

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:19:05 pm »
Yea, I was going to let this thread pan out a bit before I jumped in with both wheels. If you have been to my website, I think I have about a hundred and fifty pics of Brutus systems on there now that folks have built. There are several hundred more. I didn't recommend AL in the beginning for a reason, but just two that I know of used AL to build their systems with no issues using 80/20 frame. Heat conductivity was my concern in this regard as my design also has internal wiring. As I designed it, Brutus is a beef indeed, but not at all ridiculously heavy. I hawl this thing around to many brew-ins in my area and I have a bad back and pushing 50!

Offline scouser

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:06:43 am »
I will do some searching I did not see any AL setups but I could have missed them.  I have done a little brewing in the past but not a full grain system.  I got a good overview in the past as I worked for a brewery for a few years and have "assisted" in a few weekend brewing sessions with lesser sleds.  My plan was to get together in my mind what I want for a set up down the road and set up the basics now finish when the money allows.  If I have to sell my motorbike then I will have enough cash to put together a basic system and still drop some dollars into the "baby" fund.  That should become a reality next year.
Anway I can see the heat distribution issue that is a very valid point, I have to weight that up against the ease of moving it.
Thanks for the advice, and man you boys have put together a great website.  Hopefully in the next year or two I will be positing a picture of my set up with my springfield 45 tactical scratching my butt  ;D  Not quite the hand cannon you were sporting but then again no elephants around here for me to shoot!

Back to planning for a trip to denver on Sep 29th, over 2000 breweries I may not make it out alive.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:10:56 pm »
I could be totally off in my thinking, but I avoided aluminum due to the use of some more caustic cleaning agents, once the brew session is done.
Although I realize that the whole debate on aluminum & Alzheimer's has been put pretty much to rest, I think it's easier just to avoid re-seasoning the aluminum, after running a cleaning cycle.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:39:39 pm »
I went with SS because of its durability and corrosion resistance. I equipped my B10 clone stand with casters so I can roll it around my brewery. Works great!
Ron Price