Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another beer project , The Great Baltic Adventure  (Read 4896 times)

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
Another beer project , The Great Baltic Adventure
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:20:11 am »
Just sharing another beer project I am about to embark on here:

The Great Baltic Adventure , is a sailing journey from London up the Thames, across the North Sea, to the Baltic Sea and deliver firkins of Imperial Russian Stout to the historic city of St. Petersburg Russia, following the old nautical charts of when Catherine the Great developed an affinity for Stout in the late 18th and early 19th century.

I will be joining a crew of brewers from London and famous beer writer of the year Pete Brown for this adventure, what's kind of cool is that Pete had taken a keg from Burton on Trent on 07 all the way to India like they did in the 19th century. I of course took brewing equipment to the Canadian arctic this past summer to re-create a 19th century ale that was brewed in Burton as well. We will now join forces and share writing and blogging along the way on this latest beery adventure together.

My blog here:
http://thegreatbalticadventure.wordpress.com/about/

You can read more about the trip I did to Canada and the independent film I am producing here :
http://www.arcticalchemy.com/

or join me on facebook here, we just tasted a bottle of 136 year old arctic ale yesterday
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arctic-Alchemy/197637538644?v=wall#

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:22:11 am by mrbowenz »
Brewing up history

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Another beer project , The Great Baltic Adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:42:08 am »
Really great work!

Good Luck on your trip. Sounds like alot of fun. I can see a book in your future.

Thanks for posting Chris!  8)
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:37:55 am »
Wow, very cool!  You're a lucky man!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:56:58 am »
Sounds like an awesome trip, I'm totally jealous!

I hope those old nautical charts are still accurate enough :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:03:53 am »
Really cool, what kind of vessel will you be sailing?
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

jaybeerman

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:48 am »
Very nice; more humans need to experience adventure.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:26:48 am »

Oh, I'm experiencing one right now...bathroom remodeling!  Kinda pales in comparison to Chris' adventure, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

jaybeerman

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:43:07 am »

Oh, I'm experiencing one right now...bathroom remodeling!  Kinda pales in comparison to Chris' adventure, though.

:D I'm sitting here with my laptop trying to ignore the miter saw and the three sticks of trim that will finish my adventures in bathroom remodeling.  I did get a nice 2-1/2 day break, earlier this week, from the bathroom remodel when my wife’s car decided to spew antifreeze from the intake manifold gasket.  Oh man am I tired of these adventures and could use a sailing trip right about now.  Have fun with your remodel.  :) cheers, j

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 11:57:46 am »
The adventure is in sailing on a fairly small ship, only a 60' clipper , pretty spartan conditions at best, the concept is to take the Imperial Stout to a major beer festival in Russia at the journey's end. I am working the US market and have been in touch with Stone in Escondido and a few other brewer's here in Pennsylvania. Of course US beer will have an even longer trip by (plane first ) to Greenwich/London even before boarding the ship bound for Russia.
Here's the ship,  Thermopylae
Brewing up history

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:09:33 pm »
Hey there, congratulations on your mission.

With all due respect, as a lifelong sailor I must point out a few things. Unless the picture you posted is the wrong one, that's a cutter, not a clipper. Clippers are large multi masted ships with mostly square sails. A cutter is a monohull with a single mast, one main sail, behind the mast, and two head sails, or jibs in front of the mast. And 60 feet is not small. I know plenty of people working their way around the world on boats half that size. And it won't be spartan by any stretch of the imagination. That boat is equipped with all the latest navigational electronics (I can see the antennas etc) and will have comfortable sleeping, cooking and bathing arrangements. No, not as large as at home, but very adequate to be sure. That be a YACHT.

I know you live local, I'd be more than happy to give you a sailing primer over a few beers so you know somewhat which way to turn when you get on board.....

More on the organization that runs the boat here: http://dsp.uk.com/home.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:15:36 pm by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 12:40:00 pm »
The boat is called a clipper on their website, they call it a clipper  ( they simply must not know as much as you )and the captain told me in an email,  it is fitted for racing not comfort, suggesting, and I use his words " it's quite spartan below decks not fitted out like a yacht, where comfort is not an option" including showers !

Now if you could help Pete Brown, a few London brewers and I with beer history, that would really help us.

Brewing up history

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 08:21:00 pm »

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 08:28:51 pm »
Sigh..... the word "clipper" does not come into play in this vessel, period. Not sure where he's coming from. Could be a language thing. For two people that speak the same language, English, it is amazing how many failures to communicate we have. Some of the worst problems I have with ATC are with the Brits. Hell, even the Scotts are easier to understand on the radio sometimes.

OK, he stripped it out below......too bad.

Beer history? Not my forte, sorry. But if you are serious I can put you in touch with someone locally. LU proff and brewer extraordinaire. She would be happy to help.

My offer for the sailing primer still stands. It could lessen your suffering.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:33:47 pm by oscarvan »

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:39:00 pm »
Ah, after looking at the website again, I see they call the boat the "Thermopilae Clipper"......

That doesn't mean they are calling it "a" clipper, or designating the sailplan as a clipper. It's the name, and the name only. As in calling it a "Zephyr" or a starship the "Enterprise"

It's metaphoric.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:32:41 pm »
Just sharing another beer project I am about to embark on here:

The Great Baltic Adventure , is a sailing journey from London up the Thames, across the North Sea, to the Baltic Sea and deliver firkins of Imperial Russian Stout to the historic city of St. Petersburg Russia, following the old nautical charts of when Catherine the Great developed an affinity for Stout in the late 18th and early 19th century.

Gee... that sucks.  How did you get roped into that?   ;)

Looking forward to reading about your adventures!  If you should find your way into the Pacific and down around the Port of Hilo in the Sandwich Islands give me a shout.  I'll meet you at the dock with some local kine pia.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907