Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Suggestion for home bar build  (Read 3227 times)

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Suggestion for home bar build
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:53:13 pm »
I bought a house about 7 months ago and it had a bar but was in need of updating.  I am in the process of remodeling the bar area and would like some suggestion on where to find good ideas on how to set up a bar for kegs. 

I don't have the money to start kegging now but I want the bar to be keg ready when I can make the switch.  I had planned to use an old chest freezer I have for the kegs but I can't figure out a way to configure the bar so I can access the freezer from the top. All the commercial examples I've seen of home bars have two taps (not enough) on an overpriced under counter fridge. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Pics would be great too  ;D

Cheers.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Suggestion for home bar build
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:07:17 pm »
Well, if you're married to the idea of using the freezer you can put it on wheels and have long hoses come out the back. They will not be cooled which will add to any pressure/tapping/foaming/staling issues.

If you are really handy, you can leave the freezer in place and have the counter top on top hinge up to access the freezer. Shorter hoses.

Me, I would leave a spot for a nice used upright with six taps on the door.......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:47:48 pm »
I like the flip top bar top suggested, but if you had the freezer on wheels, and the tower mounted to the bar, depending on the clearance between the bottom of the bar top and the top of the freezer, your lines can live in your freezer and go through a hole on the lid straight into the tower.  The lines will need to be in the 12-15 foot length to balance the system and overcome the height....so as long as you can guide them back into the freezer when you slide the freezer back into place, it all sounds workable.

Or, do the standard collar and have them under the bar....not fancy, but practical.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:03:08 am »
Fliptop bar is clever stowage wise but I'm for the wheels. No need to disturb the bar unless to refinish it and maybe install towers. If people are sitting at the bar they don't have to move or pick up their drinks when you have to take care of something or clean.

A decent bar certainly would have influenced my decision in home purchase. Got any pics?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:38:47 am »
I'm building my bar right now. The way I planned my basement is to have the bar in front of the furnace/mechanical/brewery room. My chest freezer with collar is going in there. My faucets will be in the back wall of the bar with the shanks in an insulated cavity in the wall. That cavity will be attached to the collar of my freezer in the other room. I'm putting a muffin fan in to circulate cold air onto the shanks. I plan on mounting the faucets to a wood panel that is removable for maintenance, cleaning, etc. I don't know if through the wall mounting is an option for you, but it gets that kegerator out of the bar area. Eventually I'll get it done and post pics, but the extra bedroom/bathroom are priority right now with another kid on the way, so it may be a couple months...
Mark Gres

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:51:31 am »
I'm building my bar right now. The way I planned my basement is to have the bar in front of the furnace/mechanical/brewery room. My chest freezer with collar is going in there. My faucets will be in the back wall of the bar with the shanks in an insulated cavity in the wall. That cavity will be attached to the collar of my freezer in the other room. I'm putting a muffin fan in to circulate cold air onto the shanks. I plan on mounting the faucets to a wood panel that is removable for maintenance, cleaning, etc. I don't know if through the wall mounting is an option for you, but it gets that kegerator out of the bar area. Eventually I'll get it done and post pics, but the extra bedroom/bathroom are priority right now with another kid on the way, so it may be a couple months...

Spooky!  :o I am planning doing the exact same thing. I already have my serving chest freezer/fridge setup in my furnace room, all I plan on doing is drilling a large hole through the wall (cinder block in my case) and maybe circulating some cold water with a cheap pond pump to keep the lines and faucets cool. I had originally planned on using a barrel bottom to attach my taps, but as a friend pointed out, I probably won't have enough room for enough taps. I had planned on 4 taps, but as I am finding out now, 4 may not be enough. I am constantly switching out kegs between the faucets and a pic nic tap or two.
Concord, NC

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 04:45:07 pm »

Spooky!  :o I am planning doing the exact same thing. I already have my serving chest freezer/fridge setup in my furnace room, all I plan on doing is drilling a large hole through the wall (cinder block in my case) and maybe circulating some cold water with a cheap pond pump to keep the lines and faucets cool. I had originally planned on using a barrel bottom to attach my taps, but as a friend pointed out, I probably won't have enough room for enough taps. I had planned on 4 taps, but as I am finding out now, 4 may not be enough. I am constantly switching out kegs between the faucets and a pic nic tap or two.

You both have just given me an idea.  Right next to the bar is my garage.  I could put the freezer in the garage and run the lines through the wall!!!  Me likes  ;D

I do have enough room behind the bar to put an upright with taps on the front but I'd have to make it look like the rest of the bar.  Maybe I could frame the fridge with wood to make it match the bar...hmm. 

A decent bar certainly would have influenced my decision in home purchase. Got any pics?

I think I do have some pictures of the original bar (it's gone now).  I'll post some before and after pics when it's done.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:35:52 pm »
This is a pretty nice design that could be incorporated in-line with the bar. You may have to raise it up a bit depending on the current height of your existing bar. It's basically a converted chest freezer with a custom top.

http://ohiokraftbrew.wordpress.com/2010/08/21/b-y-o-k-b-build-your-own-kegerator-for-beer/

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:54 pm »
This is a pretty nice design that could be incorporated in-line with the bar. You may have to raise it up a bit depending on the current height of your existing bar. It's basically a converted chest freezer with a custom top.

http://ohiokraftbrew.wordpress.com/2010/08/21/b-y-o-k-b-build-your-own-kegerator-for-beer/

Good Luck!

That is actually one sweet kegerator. Finally I see one that appeals to my sensibilities- even without the fancy laser work.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 09:50:18 am »
www.barplan.com

This website costs $20 to register, but it's good for a life time.  It provides very detailed  plans for bars with kegerators.  I'm starting to build the L shaped with a 45% cut. 

Many could design themselves, but I like this website......   PM me, and maybe I can help.