What tab handle you like the most?

Tap handle on the left.
8 (16%)
Tap handle in the middle.
14 (28%)
Tap handle on the right.
28 (56%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: What tap handle you would pick?  (Read 5366 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What tap handle you would pick?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 08:52:59 am »
I assume you're using this for your home fridge or jockey box (where you "serve" yourself) as opposed to a brewpub (where you serve others who are on the opposite side of the bar)--it affects placement of the logo/product identifier.

I'm pretty sure they're for the commercial brewery he's opening.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 09:39:56 am »
As I said on the other thread......

#1 The larger and louder the better. Beer dudes walk into a bar and look at the taps.....you have to get their attention.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 09:56:23 am »

#1 The larger and louder the better. Beer dudes walk into a bar and look at the taps.....you have to get their attention.
I'm not sure I agree.  Distinctive, yes.  Large and loud might get my attention, but I look at all of the taps and I don't pick a beer until I know everything that is on tap, even if I have to ask. Plus large and loud might not be welcome in all places.  You don't want it to be too boring though.

I assume you've gone to the places where you'd like to be on tap and looked at their existing handles?  Distinctive is what I think you need to go for.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 12:27:35 pm »
I'd also suggest as large of lettering as you can fit.  At 48 my eyes are going and I find myself squinting at the tap handles to find someting interesting.  You make it easy to see, I'm more inclined to pick your brew.  I don't give a hoot about your motto, I want to see your name and the beer style.  Lots of places have the taps at the back of the bar instead of out by the counter.  My vision is worse close up, but even if its in focus from six feet if the letters are small I can't make it out.  I don't typically ask the bartender to tell me what he's got, they're often busy and sometimes they don't even know.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 01:31:38 pm »
Given the distance (over 12 feet if the tap is on the back wall) and the dim lighting, help the customer identify your beers better.  Your bartenders will thank you.

Bigger font (letter sizes) than you think you need.
Good contrast (e.g., black on white, brown on white) for lettering.
Simplify the artwork.

Thirsty/Lazy Monk is a fine brand, but if you're serving more than one beer style under that brand, then I'm more interested in the actual beer style so give that IPA or Dark Strong some emphasis.

narvin

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 02:15:02 pm »

Yes, nothing says "I want a fine beer brewed by a monk" like large and loud  ;)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 02:22:06 pm »

Yes, nothing says "I want a fine beer brewed by a monk" like large and loud  ;)

+1 That's looking pretty much like #4 there. I want the logo up high where everyone can see it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 04:06:45 pm »
Speaking from experience, he's gonna probably have a hard time affording a tap handle that intricate at any type of quanitity - even though I'm sure the beer is 1000xs better..  ;)

There are things you can do, though. Tap handles aren't that hard to make and there can be some very customizable directions you can go. For a small brewery hand made is better than mass fabricated cheap - IMO.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 04:51:34 pm »
I appreciate the feedback.
For right now we decided to purchase tap handles.
Not enough time in the day I supposed.
Here are actual pictures of proposed tap handles wit someone else brand of course:

Will it change your mind?

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 05:21:24 pm »
Top one is still ugly. And unless all your beers are going to be blonde and you are planning on serving them in pils/weissbier glasses I would stay far away. The paddle one is "meh", the last one is "OK" but I would recommend having your logo at the top of the handle if you choose to go that route. You are going to need to be noticed more than established brands.

I still highly recommend spending some time and coming up with an idea you can carry over from your logo to the tap handle, etc. You have a LOT to play with, what with your name/theme and all, and I think you aren't even coming close to taking advantage of it.