Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt Conditioning  (Read 11286 times)

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
Malt Conditioning
« on: December 07, 2009, 03:36:25 pm »
I just tried malt conditioning for the first time yesterday.  Wow, that was awesome.  Thanks going out to the Brau Kaiser for all the great info he's getting out there  :D

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Malt Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 06:27:24 pm »
That crush does look nice. You're welcome.

Offline greg_rosace

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 06:01:41 am »
What was the final result, how did this affect your efficiency?
Beer today- Gone tomorrow

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:19:14 am »
I didn't calculate the efficiency on this one but the crush is just so aesthetically pleasing and easy to do that I plan to do it on all my brews from now on  ;D

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 07:29:53 am »
If you are looking to have this done automatically, give these folks a call: http://www.schmidt-seeger.com/en/products_processing2.html :D

Kai

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 08:20:55 am »
What was the final result, how did this affect your efficiency?
I did malt conditioned on my last two brews.
I brewed the same beer and I did not do anything with my grain mill.
I got about 2 points better brewhouse efficiency.
Runoff is great.
I think it is well worth the extra prep time.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 10:19:11 am »
I guess I have to look at that portion of Kai's site.  Because I am clueless as to what you guys are speaking of.

If Kai has any fault, it is that he has so much awesome info, if is more of a reference than a quick one time read.

Man it is awesome!

Danke Schone

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 04:52:57 am »

Yep I really like how my crush has been coming out after treating the grain with some water.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 07:28:14 am »
This is 5.5kg of MO treated with 250ml of water, stir well &  let soak for 15min  before grinding. As you can see the husk is in great shape while I have plenty of well cracked grain(flour).

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:55:07 am »
This is 5.5kg of MO treated with 250ml of water, stir well &  let soak for 15min  before grinding. As you can see the husk is in great shape while I have plenty of well cracked grain(flour).

Beautiful!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 12:24:52 pm »
Just finished brewing and this is the grain after the mash. The grain looks to uncrushed but trust me its a empty husk your looking @
clickable pics:

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 03:25:19 pm »
For you guys who are conditioning your malt, what problems did it solve for you?  What improvements in your beer or brewing have you found since you started doing it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 03:44:18 pm »
For you guys who are conditioning your malt, what problems did it solve for you?  What improvements in your beer or brewing have you found since you started doing it?

This also makes me wonder...do commercial breweries condition their malt too?  And why take the extra step when good beer can be made without doing it?
Jesse

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 06:08:39 pm »
you get less dust.
Great grain cruch (no need for rice hauls)
great run off.
I think it is worth it.
You get about the same efficiency.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »
This also makes me wonder...do commercial breweries condition their malt too?  And why take the extra step when good beer can be made without doing it?

Some do, some don't. Mills with conditioning are more expensive and as a result it is not very attractive for small breweries. Some large breweries don't want to deal with water in the malt house.

In a German brewing trade magazine I found this statement: "In principle all mills which deliver a grist used in a lauter tun are equipped with a malt conditioning unit" (Brauindustrie). Based on that statement I think the majority of medium and large German breweries are using malt conditioning. Their motivation is improved flow during lautering. In a modern brewhouse running a modern mashing schedule lautering is with about 1.5 hrs the longest step and therefore determines how many batches can be brewed in one day. As a result shortening lauter times is very important.

But Denny brings up a good point. Once you have tried malt conditioning a few times be critical and check if it makes your beer better and/or if it makes brewing more enjoyable for you. In the end, these are the two things we care about. I do it because it allows me to crush finer and keep the lauter flowing at a reasonable rate. But I also have a manifold that easily can easily be overwhelmed by too much grist. And the quality of the grist makes me feel better about my milling.

Kai