Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chicken feet  (Read 4095 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Chicken feet
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:27:14 am »
  Call me crazy, but I got a hankerin' for some. Today, I hit 4 grocery stores, and 2 butchers. Not one chicken foot. One of the butchers did say they could get me a 40# case. I think that is excessive.  ;D 
   On the chance I do get ahold of some foul feet, the recipe I got called for boiling them in a mixture of soy sauce, waster, garlic, and fresh mint. I know it's a long shot, but any one have any good chicken feet recipes? Anyone? Cappo?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Chicken feet
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:49:29 am »
  Call me crazy, but I got a hankerin' for some. Today, I hit 4 grocery stores, and 2 butchers. Not one chicken foot. One of the butchers did say they could get me a 40# case. I think that is excessive.  ;D 
   On the chance I do get ahold of some foul feet, the recipe I got called for boiling them in a mixture of soy sauce, waster, garlic, and fresh mint. I know it's a long shot, but any one have any good chicken feet recipes? Anyone? Cappo?

There used to be a butcher shop around here that sold them for 15 cents/pound. I would buy them to make stock. The place has since close and haven't found any more yet. None of the chain grocery stores carry them.

Your sauce recipe sounds tasty though.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 12:14:21 pm »
I'm sure any Asian market worth it's salt with a butcher has them. Might be in the back, but they'll have them.

You'll need to braise not boil them.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

jaybeerman

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:45:00 pm »

Yes, foul feet indeed.  You realize that you could braise just about anything in that sauce and it would be good; besides, cardboard is way more plentiful than fowl feet.  ;D  cheers, j

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 02:22:09 pm »
Doing a google search, I've found some great recipes for these. Everyone says that they are just awesome, and go great with beer. The feet are loaded with skin, cartilidge, and some gristle. The best part of chicken! How could it go wrong?

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 02:37:57 pm »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:12:08 pm »
Nothing crazy about chicken feet at all. I love them. Never cooked that at home but we always get them when we go out for Dim Sum.

There are all kinds of recipes. Typically braised like others have said.

The one I like most is chicken feet in pine apple and star anise. Very nice flavor. Not much meat.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:56:45 pm »
I heard that America sends its chicken feet to China.

Kai

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:20:06 pm »
I heard that America sends its chicken feet to China.

Kai

LMAO!!! Kai made a funny!!!!

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 07:26:27 pm »
Oh, it's true! 
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 07:48:22 pm »
Oh, it's true! 

Maxieboy, thanks for posting that.

I heard that on NPR a while back.

There used to be a time when chicken wings were seen as waste. Not anymore. I have a hard time finding them for cheap to make buffalo wings.

Kai

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »
LMAO!!! Kai made a funny!!!!

It still sounds funny, though. I wonder what other animal by products, that we won't eat, are shipped to other countries where they are a delicacy.

Kai

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 07:56:18 pm »
That's the beauty of trade!  One mans trash is another man's dim sum!

For me, wings are the low point in food that is worthwhile to prepare when considering meat to bone/cartilage/skin ratio.  Feet, I would use to make stock, but not eat on their own.  What's next, salmon fins as a delicacy?

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 08:02:13 pm »
That's the beauty of trade!  One mans trash is another man's dim sum

LMAO, now that's a funny.

boulderbrewer

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 10:07:09 pm »
weaze you are two weeks to late, had plenty of feet then. They made great stock with a few necks. All I can say is get them "peeled" when they are defeathered. Or just check with me when i can get you some.