Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bentonite  (Read 1299 times)

Offline pmallory

• Cellarman
Bentonite
« on: March 07, 2011, 06:18:17 pm »
I recently found out that one of my favorite local breweries uses Bentonite to clarify their beer. I never got around to asking how to use it. I figured you added it late in the process, maybe close to bottling/kegging. Does anybody have any experience using this in homebrewing? Also, I know it is a mineral, so I am guessing you have to be pretty careful to not accidentally bottle any?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Bentonite
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:19:06 pm »
I use it for my wines but not my beer. In winemaking it is used to remove excessive amounts of protein from white wines.

Apparently it is used to clarify beer. I'm not sure of the credibility of this source.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7394307_use-bentonite-beer.html
Ron Price

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:25:40 pm »
Tried it years ago without much success.  Rack carefully if you do try it.
Member #: 900000767

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:07:24 pm »
Interesting!  In south central Utah, it is used to line cattle watering reservoirs.  I to would be interested to know how it is used in beer clarification. 
AHA Member 900001775

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:10:57 pm »
It's a kind of clay. It has a negative charge. Add it to finished but not carbonated beer, like any other post-fermentation fining agent. It's used more for wine. Rack off it. If it doesn't work, try it in conjunction with sparkalloid, which has a positive charge. I use these mostly with meads but there really isn't a reason why they won't work with beer.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong