General Category > All Grain Brewing

Two Day Brew Day

(1/4) > >>

stagheadstout:
Just want to get other more experienced homebrewers' advice...

Because of limited time I will usually mash/sparge one day and boil/pitch the next day. Never seem to have any issues with it. This week I am thinking about mashing on day one and brewing on day three and keeping the collected wort in the fridge inbetween.

Any problems with this?

majorvices:
You will need to at least bring the wort to 180-190 degrees for several minutes to stop enzyme action and kill souring organisms.

makemehoppy:
I had extra some time so I put 2 qts of boiled wort in a steralized container and put it in the fridge to use for a starter. 2 days later I went to use it and it smelled very sour so I tossed it. I think even with a steralized container there are organisms in the air that can start to grow.
I would be interested in knowing if you get this to work or not.

redzim:
I've done the following about 6 times in the last 6 months with no noticeable problems: Mash/run-off late afternoon or evening, put the wort (~15 gals) into a brute barrel in a walk-in cooler at around 8 or 9 pm, then start the boil the next morning at 8 or 9am. Never heated to 180F as majorvices suggests, and never had any souring or weirdness.  Wort temp in the morning usually high 30s. 

But you want to do a longer pause in the action, and it might still work, if you can get the wort temp down below 40F where bacterial growth is greatly inhibited (although not completely stopped). I certainly wouldn't leave the wort at 65F or 85F.

stagheadstout:
Thanks all. I decided to just do what I have done in the past which is pretty much what redzim describes.

Sorry, makemehoppy, I won't have anything to report back on this time. If I ever do try it I will post about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version