Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chamomile  (Read 2281 times)

Offline microbehunter

• 1st Kit
Chamomile
« on: January 09, 2011, 03:57:57 pm »
A wheat beer recipe I'd like to try calls for 2oz (55g) whole chamomile flowers. Herbal chamomile tea is only chamomile flowers.Will chamomile tea work as a substitute?

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Chamomile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:20:25 pm »
Do you mean tea bags? That's gonna be a lot of tea bags. It will work, or if you have mexican or indo-pak grocery stores in your area they usually sell big bags of loose chamomile.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:36:00 pm »
You will find chamomile in the bulk section of most health food stores or perhaps Whole Foods type stores.
You can use tea bags, but like beerocd says, that would take a lot.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

jaybeerman

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:02:55 am »
I've been meaning to give these guys mountainroseherbs.com a plug.  Their selection, customer service, and website is awesome.  Highly recommended both for their tea and their herbs

Sorry looks like they're out of chamomile at the moment

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:41:02 am »
I would also recommend this place (in Seattle) - amazing selection of herbs, most are organic and sometimes multiple forms of each (fresh, dried, tinctures, etc).  I used them when trying to find Marsh Rosemary for my last Gruit and they had a ton that was very inexpensive compared to what I'd ordered online earlier.

http://www.dandelionbotanical.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:54:09 am »
A little known secret about herbs and organic certification. While only some are certified, the USDA does not have ANY pesticides that are certified for use on herbs. While there may be non organic fertilizers used to grow some herbs there are never any pesticides on any of them. Not all that on topic but I thought it was interesting when I found that out. Tell us how it turns out though. I have been thinking about a camomile tripple for a while now.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline microbehunter

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 07:32:07 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into the Mex or Ind-Pak stores as well as health food ones in our area.  If those don't work, I'll try the links posted within this thread.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Offline microbehunter

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »
I ended up adding 52 chamomile tea bags (2 boxes of Celestial Seasonings so there were no metal staples) 15 minutes after the wort started to boil and left the bags in for the rest of the boil (55 minutes). I love the taste.