Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fining carbonated beer  (Read 10670 times)

Offline taeagan

• 1st Kit
    • Destination Beer
Fining carbonated beer
« on: December 01, 2009, 07:57:57 am »
Curious what others are doing out there to fine beer that is already carbonated.  I'm not that keen on the idea of de-pressurizing the corny keg, opening it up, and dumping a fining agent in there.  I'd be worried about introduction of oxygen, loss of carbonation, and the possibility of some kind of crazy foaming accident once the fining is dumped in. 

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Fining carbonated beer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:03:39 am »
I would think you could purge the headspace in the corny with CO2 before sealing back up.  Although I don't know because I don't keg...yet...KEGGING SYSTEM ARRIVES TOMORROW!!!!!  WOOHOO!!

Sorry...
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:01:24 am »
All concerns. Purging the headspace with CO2 afterwards should prevent oxidation and carbonation loss. Foaming can definitely haappen, just be quick.

Or just use a stoneware mug!
Brew on

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 07:46:57 am »
I fine carbonated beer often and have never had a problem with foaming, oxidation, or loss of carbonation.  I add the gelatin solution, give a it swirl with a sanitized spoon, seal it back up, and purge with CO2.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:27:49 am »
I fine carbonated beer often and have never had a problem with foaming, oxidation, or loss of carbonation.  I add the gelatin solution, give a it swirl with a sanitized spoon, seal it back up, and purge with CO2.

Same experience here. And yes, sometimes you have to be quick. Real quick ;). Most of the time it doesn't foam up that quickly, though. "Cap on foam" is a good practice for bottling beer. Why not "close corny lid on foam" ;)

Kai

Offline matt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:16:32 am »
I usually add my finings (gelatin) right when I start carbing the beer and after I let it chill for a day or so. How it usually works is that I rack to the keg, hook it up to the co2 and place it in my keg fridge. The next day I add my gelatin, put the lid back one, purge the headspace once or twice and give the whole thing a gentle shake. Back in the fridge it goes where it will sit for another day or two. The first pint has the gunk in it and after that it's pretty clear. Since I use the 'set it and forget it' method to carb there isn't much to worry about with foam during the first few days. I read somewhere that you want to cool it first so the chill haze stuff forms first. Then you add the finings. Don't know if it's true but my beers are very clear.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 11:24:48 am »
I add it to carbonated beer because I rather have the beer clear on it's own during lagering. Only if it has a very subborn haze do I feel the need to fix it. By that time the beer is already carbonated.

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 11:57:05 am »
I add it to carbonated beer because I rather have the beer clear on it's own during lagering. Only if it has a very subborn haze do I feel the need to fix it. By that time the beer is already carbonated.

Kai

+1

It's all cosmetic anyway.

...but if you're competing...now that's a different story altogether.
Ron Price

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 12:20:04 pm »
Unless intended, I don’t like cloudy beer and I take a lot of pride in the appearance of my beers. Just as much I don’t like additional steps that should not be necessary, which is why I aim to control my process such that it produces clear beer w/o fining or filtering. Most of the time I get that but on occasion it get cloudy beer for no apparent reason. Maybe at some time I spend the effort to troubleshoot one of these batches.

This isn’t saying that cloudy beers have to be inferior. I’m just a very visually oriented person and feel that I need to satisfy the eye as well as the palate. That visual orientation is also why my website has so many pictures and graphs.

Kai

Offline matt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 01:42:46 pm »

Kai

true - I do mostly ales so I like them to clear up quickly so I can get to drinking them. I don't like cloudy beer either, whether its from haze or other stuff (yeast, fermenter gunk, etc).

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 07:52:09 pm »
As much as I hate when my beers are too cloudy, I am too lazy to do anythiung about it once it is keged. Oddly, I usually have the opposite problem: cloudy styles coming out clear. Nothing is more sad than having your wit go all translucent on you.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 05:58:16 am »

Same experience here. And yes, sometimes you have to be quick. Real quick ;). Most of the time it doesn't foam up that quickly, though. "Cap on foam" is a good practice for bottling beer. Why not "close corny lid on foam" ;)

Kai

Bottles dont have those cool grey and black connectors  :D

Yes, it will foam up but nothing like a Dunkel I brewed using the Gruenschlauchen method!!!!!!!!! 
Mt Vesuvius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kai had a good laugh at my expense about that one  ;D
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead