Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crushed Grain Life?  (Read 8069 times)

Offline jmichaelk

• Cellarman
Crushed Grain Life?
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:26:49 pm »
My local homebrew store is 2 blocks from where I work, yet 25 minute (drive) from my house.  I like to brew on the weekend, and in the past have just driven to the shop to get the grains fresh the morning of brew day.  It delays the start of my day because I have to wait until the shop opens, and the commute time.

I have wanted to get the grains a day or two prior to my brew day on my way home from work, so I could get an early start in the weekend.

I have them crush the grains for me.

My question is, How long do I have from crushing the grain, which is kept in a brown paper bag, to mash, without it affecting my beer?

Are there any pointers/insight with this.

Thanks for all feedback!
Jmike

Offline brewchez

• 1st Kit
    • Brew Dudes
Re: Crushed Grain Life?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 01:36:23 pm »
A couple days will be just fine.  No worries.
-Mike

Keep it warm, keep it clean, keep it covered.

Offline jmichaelk

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:46:27 pm »
I thought as much but got a lot of mixed responses, from the homebrew shop itself nonetheless.  He told me once a couple of days would be fine, then one time he said I don't want to leave milled grains overnight b/c it they could start breaking down and it would be adverse to my beer, etc. and I should get them fresh on brew day, so I was a little confused and came here.
Jmike

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:56:21 pm »
+1  a few days, no worries. sooner is better, but if something came up and you had to wait till the next weekend to brew, it wouldn't be the end of the world. some brew pubs/breweries buy their grain pre-crushed.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 02:11:47 pm »
i crush my grain at lhbs (albeit only 5 pounds of any one variety usually) and keep what i don't use in tupperware or similar in fridge.  lasts fine for several months.  i would not try that if you keep it in brown paper bag for long
Don AHA member

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »
I usually crush my grain the day before brew day to save a bit of time, with no ill effects. You'll be fine for a couple days. Just keep them cool and dry.
Mark Gres

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 03:37:06 pm »
I crush the day before sometimes to save time on brew day, and have kept crushed grain for a couple of weeks.  I didn't do any side by side comparisons to try to detect a difference, but the beer is good.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 04:30:37 pm »
You'll be fine. A week or 2 won't hurt.

But, you have to prove it to yourself.

Buy 2 crushed recipes and use one right away and let the other sit around for 2 or 3 weeks. Bottle up a couple of each and mark them and have an acquaintance or spouse administer a 3 way blind taste test. My money says that you won't be able to tell the difference.

This will help you get this notion out of your head so there will be one less thing to worry about and you can concentrate on the things that matter.

Relax, enjoy.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 04:32:45 am »
I usually get mine crushed a day or two (or five) before brewday and still usually get a brewhouse efficiency in the upper 70's to lower 80's. 

My only suggestion is to invest a few bucks and get a 5 gallon plastic bucket to store the grains in.   Most home improvement stores have them with a lid for $5 or under.  You'll prolly be able to fit your bucket right under the grain mill at the brew supply shop.

cheers!

Offline jmichaelk

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 06:04:55 am »
Thanks.  I'm known for worrying about the "silly" stuff, but the "homebrew shop guy" made me a bit nervous by saying I shouldn't keep them long.

I like the bucket idea, I'll definitly do that and just bring it with me when I pick up the grains.

Thanks for the input/advice!
Jmike