Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dutch ovens, your recomendation  (Read 5762 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dutch ovens, your recomendation
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 05:44:22 pm »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 05:47:40 pm »
I got a nice 4-quart and 8.5-quart set of dutch ovens from these guys:

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/cast_iron_dutch_oven.htm

Reasonably priced.  I chose these ovens because they didn't have feet on the bottom.  I use them in the winter in the house to make beef stew and such, so the feet were a concern on the home stove.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 06:19:54 am »
I have a 3.5 quart Le Creuset dutch oven and a 6 quart All-Clad stock pot (pretty much the same thing as a dutch oven).  Both work great, but the Le Creuset keeps a more even heat.  I've used both on a gas cook top as well as in the oven (for braising/roasting).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:17:39 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 08:51:45 am »
I have a 9qt Lodge that is pretty well seasoned at this point. It's about four years old.

I make a Hungarian Goulash in it using my gas fired oven that's to die for. I want to get a tripod someday for an outside cook.

Ron Price

boulderbrewer

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 10:10:57 pm »
I'm playing the cast iron vs enameled iron and what will last for the kids, nah I don't have kids now so I'm torn as what is better, onoins that are gray from the iron and F it and cook in iron. Only time will tell.Thank you to have posted your recomendation

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 08:25:55 pm »
  Ok, so......flame suit on......my mom got me one of the enamal coated cast pots from Wal-Mart (Paula Dean  ::) ) and I absolutly love this thing for all my indoor cooking. It's pretty much all I use now, for everything. Anything I would use a skillet for, I do in this. It heats up fast and hot, and really holds the heat. Great for searing large pieces of meat, and such. When I make enchiladas, I slow cook the pork in it all day. The lid is so heavy, you almost get a little preassure cooker action from it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Paula-Deen-5-Quart-Covered-Oval-Casserole/10251232
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 08:50:18 pm »
 Ok, so......flame suit on......my mom got me one of the enamal coated cast pots from Wal-Mart (Paula Dean  ::) )

I bought something similar(mine is round) yesterday at Sam's=6.5 quart enameled dutch oven for $40.  The only problem with it is that it's lavender colored.  We're both looking forward to using it.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 09:54:45 pm »
  Ok, so......flame suit on......my mom got me one of the enamal coated cast pots from Wal-Mart (Paula Dean  ::) )

I bought something similar(mine is round) yesterday at Sam's=6.5 quart enameled dutch oven for $40.  The only problem with it is that it's lavender colored.  We're both looking forward to using it.
Lavender sounds nice. :) The only one around here judgmental about what you choose to cook in is Cap, and since it's not a slow-cooker I think you're ok ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 10:02:39 pm »
My wife bought a set of Le Creuset around the time we got married.  We've used that medium sized pot for nearly 25 years and it's still going strong.  Just bought a larger sized one last year.  They're expensive, but they work for a long time.  I used both of them over New Years when I made Cassoulet for a crowd.  Took three days, but it was stunning.

Braises, soups, stews, etc. all work great.  Holds heat well, cleans up quickly, and is very rugged.  I wouldn't take it camping, but you can get great stuff from Lodge for that purpose.

They're up there with my All-Clad pans and Wusthof knives as investment-grade cooking gear.  They're stuff you can buy and use for literally decades. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 10:48:45 pm »
My son's Scout patrol won the Cast Iron Chef competition at the Jamboree.  The award for winning was a 6qt. Lodge cast iron dutch oven with the BSA fleur de lis on the lid, a lid stand, a lid lifter, and a carrying bag.  It is an awesome setup!

Reminds me of the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 03:38:43 am »
My son's Scout patrol won the Cast Iron Chef competition at the Jamboree.  The award for winning was a 6qt. Lodge cast iron dutch oven with the BSA fleur de lis on the lid, a lid stand, a lid lifter, and a carrying bag.  It is an awesome setup!

Reminds me of the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles...

Now THAT's an awesome prize. Can you buy those in a shop?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Joe

boulderbrewer

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 10:39:04 pm »
Well for my birth aniversary she bought me the (Better Homes and Gardens) dutch oven. I made a great Irish stew using carbrito wow it turned out great, I'm betting it will last as long as I will. Thanks for you recomendations, don't be pissed that I didn't get your pot, think I got something that I can report on how goood or not so good it is,

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 10:53:29 pm »
I have two dutch ovens and they are both Lodge. Plain cast iron. They are the most used and versatile cook ware I own. Use it like a frying pan, deep fry, boil, lid on, lid off, bake, stove top, fire pit, etc...etc..

If I was trapped on a deserted island (from and old, old post) with Demi Moore 8) this is the only cookware I would need.

Just never use soap once it gets seasoned.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 10:56:11 pm »
I have two dutch ovens and they are both Lodge. Plain cast iron. They are the most used and versatile cook ware I own. Use it like a frying pan, deep fry, boil, lid on, lid off, bake, stove top, fire pit, etc...etc..

If I was trapped on a deserted island (from and old, old post) with Demi Moore 8) this is the only cookware I would need.

Just never use soap once it gets seasoned.

Demi Moore is hot, no doubt, but I'm thinking she might get a bit ripe if she doesn't use any soap on a desert island...  :P
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907