Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Schneider Yeast  (Read 7620 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Schneider Yeast
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 09:40:31 pm »
You can take some filter paper with you and pour the dregs through that.  Let it air dry, stick it in a plastic bag, and then mail it to yourself.  Enough will survive for you to culture it.

I asked Greg Doss though (Wyeast microbiologist), and he said 3638 is the Schneider yeast as far as he knows.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 11:15:00 pm »
Oh, and by the way, Greg mentioned that he prefers 3068. :)  Along with pretty much everyone else from what I can tell, I've never heard anyone state a strong preference for any other weizen yeast.  I know it's what I'll be using when I get around to making a weizen.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 08:30:03 am »
Oh, and by the way, Greg mentioned that he prefers 3068. :)  Along with pretty much everyone else from what I can tell, I've never heard anyone state a strong preference for any other weizen yeast.  I know it's what I'll be using when I get around to making a weizen.

+1

I haven't tried 3068 so this will be used for my next hefe.
Ron Price

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 09:45:45 am »
It is my understanding that W68, which WY3068 seems to be, is the go-to yeast for German Weissbier breweries. It pitty, though, since so much character comes from the yeast.

Kai

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 01:59:22 pm »

Well, I much prefer WY3333 and I know a couple of other homebrewers in that camp as well.  Compared to 3068, its more fruity and less phenolic.