Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coopers  (Read 1206 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Coopers
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:52:26 pm »
Brewday Saturday, I needed yeast. Not a homebrew shop to be found within 3 hours of here. There is a little craft beer store about 5 mins from my house that carries a small selection of grain, a few hops, and a cuople strains of yeast, and a few other brewing related supplies. All at stupid high marked up prices. I was brewing 12 gallons, so I needed a good bit to pitch. They had a few smack packs, and a couple vials. There was also some packs of wine yeast, and a lager yeast. But alas.....no US-05. Best I could do, was Coopers brewing yeast. It gave me no indication what it was. I'm assuming some version od 1056, US-05, or a WLP002. So, I made due, and pitched two packs, chilled my wort to 60*. By morning, it was chugging away. By late evening, it was going nuts. Come morning, It blew the lid on my demi-jon. Ambient where it is setting is 65*. The temp on the demi-jon is 69*. This stuff went wild! It's ferminting strong, to say the least. I jsut hope it cleans up nice, and will make a decent wheat beer. Seems to be a good bit of banana in the co2 coming off. Not a bad thing for a wheat.
  Anyone have any experience with it?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Coopers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:41 am »
Don't know about the Coopers yeast but, in general, wheats always seem to have pretty vigorous fermentations.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:54:59 am »
I've used it. Tolerates higher ferment temps, up into the 70's. Fairly clean and a bit fruity. Decent dry yeast.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:34:23 pm »
Coopers yeast should be pretty good in an American wheat. I've used it before making "Sparkling Ale", which I think is just Australian for "Cream Ale"..cam out pretty good. Like euge said, its a bit fruity.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:53:09 pm »
Good info. Thanks for the help guys.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.