Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

What is the best yeast for a Kölsch?

WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch
10 (71.4%)
Wyeast 2565 Kölsch
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Which Yeast for Kolsch?  (Read 16061 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Which Yeast for Kolsch?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 12:54:02 pm »
Perosnally, if I am going to be transporting a keg I use one keg as a bright tank (like I said above, I shorten the dip tube by 1/2 inch) then via a jumper rack the beer off to another keg. But I just don't like racking beer into a tank filled with oxygen. I suppose if you could at least purge the ehad space in the secondary carboy with Co2 you should be fine.

You say lagering for 6 weeks in primary - just so you know, that's not at all what I am talking about. If you pitch enough yeast your fermentation should be done in about 7-10 days. Resting it around 68 degrees will help finish it out completely. Then you can rack and crash cool. 2-3 weeks is all it should take. So your kolsch should be done between 2-5 weeks from brew day.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 02:20:17 pm »
I see, I was just thinking of the Kölsch as fermenting with a similar schedule to a lager, which I suppose it wouldn't, especially fermenting as warm as WLP029 seems to prefer.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 11:51:40 pm »
This beer isn't ready yet. Twenty-three days hasn't been long enough. The Kolsch has been in the kegerator for 3 days. Might be a tad dry but hopefully that's just rawness and will smooth out.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »
Perosnally, if I am going to be transporting a keg I use one keg as a bright tank (like I said above, I shorten the dip tube by 1/2 inch) then via a jumper rack the beer off to another keg. But I just don't like racking beer into a tank filled with oxygen. I suppose if you could at least purge the ehad space in the secondary carboy with Co2 you should be fine.

+1.  When I am concerned about rousing sediment via a move, I transfer keg to keg, out-tube to out-tube, and cut it off the nano-second I see sediment in the line.  It's worked for me.
Kirk Howell