General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Third transfer fermentaion-add more yeast?

(1/3) > >>

kaitiura:
[I apologize, being new here, if this has been endlessly addressed in these forums!]

I've just transferred my beer to a third fermentation carboy to help with removing an extra-heavy dry-hop application ;), running it through a sterilized cheesecloth on transfer. I'm not a regular brewer and am wondering if I may have screwed myself by removing the solids, maybe losing too much of my yeast when I did that :-\. Do I need to add more yeast when I bottle or will there be enough left in the beer. Secondary fermentation ran for one week and three days after one week of primary. Almost all solids were filtered out on the third transfer. Thanks for any info!

blatz:
you should be fine and should NOT have to reyeast before bottling.

bonjour:
Your only issue would be oxidiation resulting from exposure during the transfers.

Fred

ndcube:
How did you run it through a cheese cloth?  I thought of oxidation problems as well when you mentioned that.

kaitiura:

--- Quote from: ndcube on December 08, 2009, 11:59:54 AM ---How did you run it through a cheese cloth?  I thought of oxidation problems as well when you mentioned that.

--- End quote ---
I boiled the cheesecloth a little to sanitize, then stuffed it into the mouth of the carboy on transfer. I know, it sounds risky, and probably is! I won't do it again, but had a HUGE amount of hops left in the carboy after a dry hopping with extra hops to emulate Pliny the Elder and figured I'd try it. Came out clean, but the amount of air that got into the beer was huge... :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version