Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer vs. Wine Party  (Read 7939 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer vs. Wine Party
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 01:13:02 pm »
To each there own but what is it about lambics that turn you off? Have you had the russion river beatification? I do not like the sweet fruity lindemanns style of lambic at all but a straight (non-fruit) lambic is a wonderful thing.

Haven't tried enough yet, I think...the one that soured me (rimshot!) was Hanssens Oude Kriek.  Came to me in a flash what all these reviews talking about "barnyard funk and horseblanket" were referring to.  The three things I remember from it were acetone, vinegar, and manure.  The Lindemans ones I have no objection to, but I hardly classify them as beer.  More a very very traditional and upscale malt based wine cooler.  So...if I ever do see the Russian River one, I'll give the genre a second shot!  Never had gueuze, either.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 01:56:08 pm »
To each there own but what is it about lambics that turn you off? Have you had the russion river beatification? I do not like the sweet fruity lindemanns style of lambic at all but a straight (non-fruit) lambic is a wonderful thing.

Haven't tried enough yet, I think...the one that soured me (rimshot!) was Hanssens Oude Kriek.  Came to me in a flash what all these reviews talking about "barnyard funk and horseblanket" were referring to.  The three things I remember from it were acetone, vinegar, and manure.  The Lindemans ones I have no objection to, but I hardly classify them as beer.  More a very very traditional and upscale malt based wine cooler.  So...if I ever do see the Russian River one, I'll give the genre a second shot!  Never had gueuze, either.

That does sound unpleasant. I am sure it's a hit and miss thing. It's a wide style.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 06:50:05 pm »
I am in the process of doing research on beers to pair with each course and wanted to get some tips as to what might work.

Our next Ask the Experts is Sean Paxton, the Homebrew Chef.  The perfect guy to ask about food and beer pairing!  Questions should be open in a week or so.

+1

...and if you go to the CraftBeer.com website you'll find beer and food pairings with alot of recipes. Check it out.

http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/beer-and-food/features
Ron Price

chargerssb

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 08:16:35 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  Many good ideas on where to start.  I will definitely post a question for Sean Paxton.  I didn't even think about pairing the wines yet with Thai food; I could see how that might be difficult, especially since I don't know a ton about wine.  Summer rolls sound delicious.  We were also thinking of maybe some sort of crab won tons (not necessarily Thai, but they are delicious).  I have ready Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer and am going to thumb through that again for some tips and check out the Craft Beer site.  I still have quite some time before a final menu decision needs to be made.  So we'll see.  Just need to keep researching.  I suppose I should think more about the wine side of it too to be fair.   

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 08:36:08 pm »
If you're interested in wine pairing in addition to your beer pairing, Sam Calig.... (whatever, the Dogfish Head dude) and a lady wine expert have a book out called He Said Beer, She Said Wine.  Supposed to be a pretty good (and humorous) take on both beer and wine pairings with food.  Here...

http://www.amazon.com/Said-Beer-She-Wine-Impassioned/dp/0756654491/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299123150&sr=1-1
Joe

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 11:25:19 pm »
My friend Ron Raike brews for Shipyard in Winter Park, FL (another homebrewer gone pro story).  They posted this on Facebook:

Beer vs Wine Dinner
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 02:14:03 am »
If you're interested in wine pairing in addition to your beer pairing, Sam Calig.... (whatever, the Dogfish Head dude) and a lady wine expert have a book out called He Said Beer, She Said Wine.  Supposed to be a pretty good (and humorous) take on both beer and wine pairings with food.  Here...

http://www.amazon.com/Said-Beer-She-Wine-Impassioned/dp/0756654491/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299123150&sr=1-1

Cheers for the book link; ordered. Looks neat!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 07:36:41 am »
Cheers for the book link; ordered. Looks neat!

Cool.  Let us know what you think.  I'd be curious to hear as I bought that book for my brother-in-law, who's into wine as well as craft beer, for Christmas but I haven't heard anything from him about what he thought.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 12:13:13 pm »
Oooh, excellent, maybe saison instead of a tripel for that first quasi-champagne beer.  Lambics I'm less a fan of personally, but it sounds interesting!

But saison sounds like a better plan than tripel, not least because your guests legs won't turn to rubber after the first course...

The Sam Adams Infinium would slot into this role quite nicely. I see it pairing well with most food too.

As far as lambics I prefer the sweet cheap ones like Lindemans. I don't go for carbonated vinegar... And I don't see the uninitiated caring overmuch for a Gueuze either.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

chargerssb

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 11:09:29 am »
Alright, so after doing some more research on the wine side, I determined that Thai food might not work the best.  It would have to be mostly to all white wines and we don't want to do that.  We changed up the menu to be more of a Japanese Steakhouse theme.  The menu is now:

Appetizer - Grilled Garden Sushi Rolls (cucumber, asparagus, avocado, etc.)
First Course - Miso Soup
Main Course - Flank Steak (marinated somehow, but haven't determined yet), scallops, and a salad w/ginger dressing
Dessert - Ginger/Pear Cake

I think this menu might make it easier to pair up both the wines and the beer.  What do you think?

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 03:59:05 am »
Great idea!  Although in fairness to the wine partisans, the choice of Thai food is hardly level...Thai food just goes with beer.  It's a bit like having an Italian dinner and squaring off rich red Italian wines against beer.   ;D

I disagree with that statement. Well, sort of. Thai food can work with red wine and Italian food and beer can be excellent. I love a big brown beer, like Gouden Carolus with just about anything with red sauce. I've done a lobster ravioli paired with Malheur Biere Brut that was freakin' divine.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 04:14:33 am »
Great idea!  Although in fairness to the wine partisans, the choice of Thai food is hardly level...Thai food just goes with beer.  It's a bit like having an Italian dinner and squaring off rich red Italian wines against beer.   ;D

I disagree with that statement. Well, sort of. Thai food can work with red wine and Italian food and beer can be excellent. I love a big brown beer, like Gouden Carolus with just about anything with red sauce. I've done a lobster ravioli paired with Malheur Biere Brut that was freakin' divine.

So when are you having us over for dinner?
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 05:26:08 am »

Yes and I'll bring the homebrew.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 05:37:40 am »

When can ya come?

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 06:03:32 am »

When can ya come?

Ah, yeah, that's the trouble, 3 hours' drive to Brussels + teething baby... ;-) But you can come here, I'll do something large and meaty on the smoker
----