Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gelatin finings  (Read 9154 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Re: Gelatin finings
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:08:51 am »
Is it bad to start force carbonating before letting it settle 24 hours?   I add it to the keg, rack on top of it, seal and pressurize the lid, shake a bit, then hook it up to start carbonating.
Nah... I usually rack into the keg and put it on pressure to start carbing, but don't add the gelatin until a day later once the beer is cold. Then I just continue carbing until it's done, blow out all the crud with the first pint or two, and have nice, clear beer.

That's exactly what I do. Although, I probably shouldn't use the present tense since I don't really use gelatin anymore.  :P
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Gelatin finings
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 09:35:04 am »
Is it bad to start force carbonating before letting it settle 24 hours?   I add it to the keg, rack on top of it, seal and pressurize the lid, shake a bit, then hook it up to start carbonating.
Nah... I usually rack into the keg and put it on pressure to start carbing, but don't add the gelatin until a day later once the beer is cold. Then I just continue carbing until it's done, blow out all the crud with the first pint or two, and have nice, clear beer.

Sound advice Mark.  :)

However I may add that if the beer has been cold crashed it can be fined immediately after racking into the keg and force carbonated. This is my current SOP.
Ron Price