Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sight Gauge  (Read 9108 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Re: Sight Gauge
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 10:20:09 am »
I tried using a polycarbonate tube for my HLT but it got soft when I heated to sparge temp 180*. I was led to believe polycarbonate was stable up to 250*. What gives?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 10:45:53 am »
I tried using a polycarbonate tube for my HLT but it got soft when I heated to sparge temp 180*. I was led to believe polycarbonate was stable up to 250*. What gives?

Are you using something to shield the gauge from the heat of the burner?  A lot of heat flows up the side of the kettle, more than enough to soften up a polycarbonate tube.  I use a piece of sheet metal to shield the tube, ball valve and thermometer from the heat.  It just pushes the heat further out from the kettle and safely past the equipment hanging off the side of my HLT and BK.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:49:59 pm by glastctbrew »
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 08:46:02 pm »
I wanted to share this link earlier but I just got it. Good reviews from my friend who went this route. I
already had on on my kettle so I have no imput but check it out.

DIY Sight Glass
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 03:54:32 pm »
I tried using the Polycarbonate as a dip stick once in my BK  and it came out as a limp noodle. I thought it was rated to 250*?
No worries. I ordered a 3/4" glass sight tube yesterday from McMaster Carr. it came today already. Gonna play around with it tonight. Hoping to get (at least) 1 liter graduations with the larger tube.

Offline bobby_m

• Cellarman
    • BrewHardware
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 09:34:39 pm »
Are you sure you weren't using a racking cane? Racking canes are usually made of acrylic which has a much lower melting point. Polycarbonate doesn't get soft until it gets to about 350F. If it got soft at 180, I would have received HUNDREDS of returns and 100% negative reviews which is obviously not the case.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 07:15:27 am »
THAT'S IT!!!
I WAS using a racking cane; I did not know it was acrylic. My bad. I installed the glass sight tube last night but it is good to know what the problem was. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Offline quest4watneys

• Assistant Brewer
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 07:32:01 am »
Oh, Hi. I'm the owner of brewhardware.com and I just wanted to mention that I do, in fact, ship internationally. There was a brief time during the holidays, and shortly afterwards, where order volume was so high that I couldn't justify standing in line at the post office to ship. I'm sorry if that seemed like a lame excuse, but I can drop off 30 domestic shipments in 3 minutes, but it can take up to 30 minutes to stand in line with the customs form, just to ship a single international package.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.
Bobby
brewhardware.com

Hey Bobby. I work for the USPS and just wanted to let you know that you can get everything you need for international shipping  with the USPS online right here http://www.usps.com/international/customs.htm You can have the forms sent to you free of charge or you can pickup a hand full next time you're at the P.O. I believe you can even print them using the online service as well.  Then just request a carrier pickup free of charge  :)
I'm now an official AHA member!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 09:00:35 am »
See, this is one of the things that makes this forum so great.  We have people here from all walks of life, but all with a common purpose and everyone helps everyone else.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell