Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 roller vs 3 roller  (Read 13300 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
2 roller vs 3 roller
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:56:45 am »
Looking at buying a grain mill.  I ordered a 3 roller Crankenstein but now I'm having buyers remorse.  Do I need 3 roller or would 2 be adequate?  Price is about $100 more but I don't care if it is worth it since I am looking this as a long-term investment.
Thanks
Graham

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: 2 roller vs 3 roller
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:59:11 am »
Ooops... this was meant to go into equipment, not ingredients.  If someone wants to move it, go ahead. 

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:46:07 am »
The first gap in a 3-roller is set at about 70mil, then the second one is adjustable. You could get the same effect from running your grain once through at 70mil, then again at a tighter setting. A 3-roller is faster and easier than doing two passes and adjusting between them. I just use a 2-roller mill and do two passes, and it's not a big deal.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:56:52 am »
I use a 2 roller JSP adjustable, set just about as tight as it will go.  I get a perfect crush in a single pass.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:15:32 am »
From the research I did before buying a mill, I came to the conclusion that you can get a good crush with any of the readily available roller mills.  Nearly everyone is happy with the mill that they picked, and rarely does anyone need to replace one.  So get the mill that has the features you want, they all work.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 09:45:04 pm »
I have a 3 roller Crankenstein mill; it's a beast.  But you will only reap the benefits if you set it up right.  Meaning, in order for all three mills to roll properly, all in-sync you'll need a motor with the right RPM's ( if your connecting the motor's shaft directly to the mill's crank shaft). Look at the crankenstein website for his set-up recommendations.   
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:46:33 pm by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 07:58:15 pm »
I was going to run it with a drill.  Are you suggesting that I'd be better off motorizing it? 

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 10:59:05 pm »
When I used my HILTI drill motor on 3 roller mill the rollers did not spin in-sync.  I took off the bottom most roller and was then able to get a proper spin.  I operated the mill like that for a while, obtaining a good grain crush with only  2 rollers.  However,  I then reassembled the 3 rollers back on the mill and tried a 650 rpm motor on it and the rollers still were not spinning properly.   It wasn't until someone on this forum informed me that the the rpm's needed to be much lower than 650rpm's, and lower in the range of around 170 rpm's.

I suspect this might be the same for your 3 roller mill.  But I may be wrong, because I have the older model. Check the mill's website for your specific specs. Let me know what happens.

There's a couple of post on this forum that deal with the set-up and the motorization of the that type of mill. There are a couple different inexpensive, and straight forward ways you can use for motorizing your mill.  If you can't find the info, let me know and I'll post my set-up.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:47:06 pm by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:11:54 pm »
I picked up a low-speed drill that will spin in the right range for milling, 0-550 RPM.  $40 at harbor freight.  I haven't used it yet, but I see no reason why it won't work.  Plus I can use it for other stuff.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:25:10 pm »
That looks like an awesome buy but, just be aware that some of the crankandstein drive shafts are 3/4".

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 11:36:45 pm »
That looks like an awesome buy but, just be aware that some of the crankandstein drive shafts are 3/4".
Are you sure, I don't see any on their site?  Even the "professional" 320D and 328D are only 1/2", most of the other ones are 3/8".  Which one am I missing?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:49:23 pm »
My bad.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 01:29:51 am »
No worries :)
Tom Schmidlin