Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So ya got this Car  (Read 7638 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: So ya got this Car
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 11:35:54 am »
We get a lot of snowbirds down here. It's brutal hot though. I want to go North during the summer...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 12:30:15 pm »
We get a lot of snowbirds down here. It's brutal hot though. I want to go North during the summer...
That is my strategy exactly.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 04:58:37 pm »
I always wondered what a Subaru with a lift kit would look like. My ex drives a WRX, I always had a hankerin' to lift it about 4"

Good, solid cars, though. Take 'em anywhere, but they are kind of butch.

I have a '97 Cherokee. If I have my way, I'll keep buying these things until there are no more left. I bought a new car once, sold it within 2 years. Swore I'd never do it again.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

boulderbrewer

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 08:22:03 pm »
I love my Suby, 2002,  that I paid 10K for 4 years ago. Wife 93 has 230K on it but it has body cancer really bad. The only other vehicle I would buy with higher miles would be GM's astro van or the like. We have them at work you can beat them like a dog and they still go well after 300k. I wouldn't buy new, but that is me. Retiring soon maybe by new and payoff by your retiring and then drive it into the ground after that, because you may have enough to buy another new one.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 05:30:31 am »
I also have a 2002 Forester, which has 165K on it and never needs any repairs, only regular maintenance. 
I also drive a 1989 Mazda B2200 with 225K, but the engine exploded right at 200K, so all that stuff is fairly new.  It still looks old and has none of the features of a more modern vehicle.
There's something to be said for increasing your self esteem by owning a new car, but the monthly expense always scares me away.  You must also remember that new cars do not have immunity from repairs or maintenance, which is additional to the monthly payment and increased insurance.
One thing you could do is take your car to a trusted mechanic (I'd try to avoid the national chains.  They tend to want to upsell everything) and have him/her give it a complete inspection. Although he won't be able to predict failures, he will be able to tell what is going to be an expense in the near future.  Usually this will cost less than an hour's labor and will give you an itemized list in order of importance of upcoming costs.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995